Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Thames Class Runabout - WIP

Author Topic: Thames Class Runabout - WIP
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I got an urge to model again after browsing this board. There are no schematics I'm working off of, just what's in my head at the time, so God knows what it'll look like in the end. I'm thinking that this would be in the Dominion war or post-Dominion war era so kind of like and upgraded Danube, so a little faster, little more powerful that kind of thing.

Anyways a very early WIP, just making the starting touches to main body of it. It has a docking hatch on the back and it'll be a similar style and size to the transport pod thingies in TMP. In the rear view you can see a human sized skeleton inside it, to give a sense of scale. That's a point, do Dominion war ships have them circular docking hatches on them? I vaguely remember a scene of the E-D in space dock with a boom attached a the side port, but can't think of any other vessels I've seen with them from this era.

Not sure if this will get finished as I tend to start things, lose interest and move onto other things, but I'll try and keep working on it.

Side view:

-

Top view:

-

Bottom view:

-

Front view:

-

Back view:

-

Some perspective shots:

-

-

-

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting..... I know this is only an early WIP, but I think it looks like a sharpie. Or a 24th century tube of lipstick. [Smile]
Nice start though.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it does look like a funky looking highlighter [Razz]

I wasn't too happy with the look of the middle "ribbing" part, so I'm trying out a more angular look.

-

-

-

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It needs nacells. Even if they're like the Delta Flyer's ( large angualar tabs on the hull). I don't know, maybe when it has colors and I can pick out the deffinition. Looks like the type of ship Riker would fly on a lesiure trip.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jell-O mold.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

A weird Phallic jell-o mold. [Big Grin] I am assuming of course that the finished product will lack the outer tab thingy, right?

--------------------

-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pssst, there is a man in your WIP.

Sean, and you wonder why people think that way?

I like the hull of the WIP V0.2.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's GOMTUU!! [Smile]
OverRon
Member # 2036

You were saying about nacelles and phallic-ness, well here's a bit of both! [Razz]

Anyways, I wanted to go for a different kind of bussard for this ship, so I'm trying a tri-lobal thing with these ones. There are a few mesh errors on the nacelles, which I'm gonna sort out later, if I remember.

Some nacelle views:

-

-

-

-

And a couple of shots with the main hull:

-

-

OverRon
Member # 2036

Added some ducting around where the blue glowy things go into the nacelle. Using a fall-off/fresnel map on the blue warp glowies, which'll probably be the final texture for them. The metal texture is just a temporary one till I get around to firing up photoshop.

Couple new shots of nacelles:

-

-

Anyways enough updates for a while.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about the nacelles.. they seem a bit too slender somehow, but it's hard to judge at this point. I always liked how the Danube had a certain degree of chunkyness to it, which made it seem more rugged and durable.

The shape of the main body is nice, but I'm also curious if the finished product will have that sort of lip thing around the edge? Right now it looks a bit like it's been vacuum molded and stuck together without shaving off the flash.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

WIth the nacells in place, it looks much better. I like, I like...

--------------------

-George Carlin

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The proportions aof a Krenim warship, methinks. But nicely done!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it looks a lot like a Voth scoutship to me... [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps