Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New Toy

Author Topic: New Toy
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's high time I shared a little bit of modeling love. I've been doing styrene and resin models since I was about eight (that one was a model of the Space Shuttle, with a very lousy paint job!). And so now that I've got a new toy (the camera, not the model), I figure it's about time I posted some pics.

(I just got a Canon PowerShot G9, and I'm learning more about not using the "auto" settings. Plus, the pics were taken late at night, so that's why these are relatively dark.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Purty...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why so dark?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I just got a Canon PowerShot G9, and I'm learning more about not using the "auto" settings. Plus, the pics were taken late at night, so that's why these are relatively dark.)"

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He could be referring to the paint job itself, too. I forgot to mention that. Funny story, that...

It started back when I got my model of the Enterprise-E. I was about 16 at the time, an absolutely lousy judge of color. Sure enough, I picked a shade of grey that was far, far too dark for the purpose. (I based my selection on some of the darker movie shots, but even for that, the paint was too dark.) I could've stripped off the paint, bought another can, and started over. But I kinda dug the dark color... it gave the ship an edgy, military feel.

Anyway, I've been using that can for a bunch of my models ever since. Not exactly Starfleet standard, but I like the look.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like Flinstones: The Next Generation...flying about in a stoneship.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I think battleship gray is a nice color on a starship. Not good for TV, but a nice color. Why do you think all navies use it, besides the fact that it helps to blend in with the sea. Come to think of it, I think Starfleet should buy a chinese knock-off cloaking device for all their ships.

A jet black paint scheme with white,dots all over it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Shik
Member # 343

That's not battleship grey. That's more of a Euro I Grey.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not wanting to be critical, but have you thought about a stencil for the windows?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Heh; yeah, I've thought about that. The windows look quite fine when you're looking at the model from an average distance, so I never bothered. I think I probably should start doing that with the next ships that I get.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man I got get into building models...
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got get English book [Wink]
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you say?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps