Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Dedication plaques (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Dedication plaques
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He recreated the actual misspelled plaque.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It K Z TSIOLKOPSKY. The last letter is a "short i" (Й), meaning the last bit of the name is pronouced as E-I. Sort of.

You could either have К Е ЦИОЛКОВСКЙ, or К Е ЦИОЛКОВСКИЙ, or if you want to transliterate the original Polish, it would be something like К Е ЦИОЛОЎСКИ, but it would not sound right.

Incidentaly, the Ў is a "W" sound, and the В is a "V".

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I can neither read, speak nor spell in Russian, so I just copied what I saw. Perhaps the language has change somewhat in 400 years, no?

Anyway, I'm experimenting with some TOS era plaques, but I'm not 100% happy with the look.
 -  -  -  -  -  -

That makes more than thirty of these things now! Dan, fancy opening a new gallery on ST Minutiae? [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably because they're boring.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much I can do about that I'm afraid.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Well I can neither read, speak nor spell in Russian, so I just copied what I saw. Perhaps the language has change somewhat in 400 years, no?

"Readink, Speakink and Spellink was inwented in Russia."

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Shik
Member # 343

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Not much I can do about that I'm afraid.

I know. I wasn't snarking on you for it; it is how it is. There's not a lot you can do with them.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

Hey, Rev..I looked at the first Hood one again..is it supposed to be "I must down to the seas" or is it "go down to the seas"?

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye, in the ole English, they speakth that way.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Member # 343

Yeah, that's why I asked before going all Johnny McLaughlin on him.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Look up "sea fever" by John Masefield. You may recognise the second line. [Wink]

Oh, and I think I have found a way to make a TOS plaque interesting.
 -

--------------------

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Imperial one is definitely more interesting than the plain old good universe ones. "Veni, Vidi, Vici" might have made a good quote, although a little trite.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That should be used for the ISS Caesar. Since it is an earth centered empire, I don't imagine that there would be any ships named after aliens. So, we could see all of the evil names we wouldn't see in the normal universe. Like Hitler, Stalin, Nixon...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

...Martha Stewart.

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ophra?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.