Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Ark Royal Stuff - Misc. Illustrations (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Ark Royal Stuff - Misc. Illustrations
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That docking port is some fucked-up shit, yo.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, I just copied what I saw on the drawings. I agree, it's not a smart place to put a docking port.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting one on the bridge I don't mind (although, there's none seen on the actual Akira)...it's that sidewall placement that makes it useless.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Except to travel pods.

The bridge overall is useful and kinda fun. The scale is certainly really off, but at least the major bits are in the right place. Obviously, the bridge seats were designed for the Obesoids from the planet Bakphat IX...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which in its former life was a planet called Earth. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Member # 343

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
...Except to travel pods.

I don't even think a pod would squeak in there without some paint scratching & a need for Bondo.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the bridge is a good place for a docking port designed to handle more than an inspection pod. Being wedged between those catamaran hulls, I doubt anything much bigger would fit even if the port wasn't in a weird horseshoe thingy.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Shik
Member # 343

Uh...you DO know there a fuckton of space twixt those booms, yeh?

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

My mistake. I must have miscalculated. Still, If a large ship needed to dock, I wouldn't want to be piloting it. It looks risky. Although, I would assume that there are other docking ports.But, I know what happens when I assume things...

--------------------

-George Carlin

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's small any way you slice it. It was a bad design piece to transplant from the other classes. Who the hell needs a docking port back there unless Spock is going to show up inexplicably halfway into the movie.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Piloting a ship there isn't a problem (that's what auto docking is for) the problem is that any travel pod sat there would effectively block the EVA airlock opposite, making it rather redundant.
I think the reasoning behind having airlocks on bridge modules is that they are effectively separate spacecraft that can in theory (though we've never seen it) eject away and act as a lifeboat for the bridge crew. This is possibly more a feature used in the trial run of a ship, where the crew is relatively small and the chances of something going wrong are slightly greater.
Also for rescue operations it would be useful to have exterior access to the bridge in the event that it is physically cut off from the rest of the ship and transporting isn't an option. Of course it's also essential if the bridge crew need to evacuate to another part of the ship in the absence of jefferies tubes, the turbo lift and transporters.

So what I'd suggest is you make that cavity much more shallow and have just one aft facing airlock, or just more it so it's on the outer curved edge of that same compartment.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Ahkileez
Member # 734

I haven't worked too much on this project lately. Basically what happened is I started to work on a side view for Britannic and it sucked and I got discouraged. Then I got sidetracked by an ancillary project to this one.

This little transporter beacon (approximately actual size) I drew because of the needs of a mission we were doing. Basically you slap it on to what you want to get a good solid transport lock on, activate it and it'll extend its arms to affix itself properly and then you've got a nice solid signal to beam whatever it is out.

-

The task force Ark Royal is leading into the area of space we're in, includes a Federation Army peacekeeper unit. Not SF Marines, but Federation Army - an entirely different service.

I meant to get much further along with this project before showing anything from it, but I figure I owe you guys something for being so kind.

The images are pretty self-explanatory. For the uniforms, I wanted something that felt like it belonged to the same 'family' as the current Starfleet uniforms, produced by the same culture, but with a distinct look of its own since it's an entirely different service.

Hope you like.

-

----

-

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Interesting. I like how they are styled somewhat with today's military style. Are the ranks in the same pattern as today's military ranks? (or at least the American Military rank system)

--------------------

-George Carlin

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Well I didn't work all of it out. But it would be some kind of a hybrid between the systems used by the major militaries of the world I imagine.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd quite like to see a rank system that is not based on US military insignia, like we always see. I mean, there are far more uses of the rank systems based on those of Russia, and half the world, ie. the Commonwealth, use a British type system.

Do like the uniforms though. Hats?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps