Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Ark Royal Stuff - Misc. Illustrations (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Ark Royal Stuff - Misc. Illustrations
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's impossible to read some of the text on these things.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the medals themselves? Very few of them have any actual text on them. Those that do, I deliberately made it so they looked lightly engraved.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the text you put on the James Kirk Medal of Gallantry! [Big Grin]

Any reason why the Purple Heart isn't heart-shaped? Overall, very nice designs! I know you're going for a more military feel, but any reason other than personal preference for going with the ribbon design rather than the triangular design seen in TOS?

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, it's not so clear at first, so good eye for picking it up [Smile]

The purple heart... well... not every species is going to even understand what a traditional heart shape is, so it makes little sense to copy that. Plus I wanted it to look a little more trekian.

As for the triangular design... apparently by the modern era of Trek, that had been abandoned - as illustrated by Data's medals:

-

Plus they're a hell of a lot more interesting to look at than triangles, hehe.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd forgotten about Data's medals, but those are the full-size versions, not the ribbon or triangle-sized versions, right? Eh, doesn't matter anyway, since Kirk was wearing both the triangles and a medal.

Just noticed something else - one of Data's medals is an Admiral's (Rear Admiral?) emblem from the movies, and your Silver Palm of Axanar resembles the Fleet Admiral emblem. Nice touch! [Big Grin]

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Well I don't like TNG so I've not watched many episodes of it. I've never seen this ep where the medals are displayed and it's hard to tell their scale here.

Ultimately I wasn't trying to duplicate these medals (well, other than that middle one I decided to use for the Order of Tactics), just be inspired by them.

Ahkileez
Member # 734

I updated the set (the full set has been updated on the previous page).

=============
A couple years ago I ran a huge six month arc called "Sanctum" for the fleet I was in in a previous organization. It was about an area of space called the Sanctum, and a race that lives in it. The Federation inducts a new member with a lot of territory, a powerful military and a bad history with these folks in the Sanctum. With the merging of the two territories, the Fed now surrounds the Sanctum. This leads to increased tensions, and ultimately a war between the Fed and the Synod (the Sanctum's inhabitants).

After the arc was completed (with a 3hr, 60-person IRC finale mission), all those characters that fought in the war received this.

Since I brought my character over from that org into Star Trek: Echoes, he still has it and I needed to redraw it to fit in with the others for STE. Heh.

-

================
I had neglected to put in some service markers in the original set. These are obviously in much faster increments than one would get them in a real military, but it's to acknowledge players' commitment to the game/organization.

-

==================
Cdr_Hensley of Okudagrams.com asked for this medal based on a ribbon he'd designed. I hope he doesn't mind that I kinda swiped it to toss it in with my lot too. [Smile]

-

Anyway, there you go. Hope you guys like them [Smile]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made some ribbons once. Looked very Navy-like.

I notice one of Data's medals is just an upside down commbadge.

Also, as for 'service markers' 6 months is too soon. In the Navy there's a good conduct medal for every 3 years of well good conduct. Plus hash marks on your uniforms, stripes above the cuff. 1 hash mark for every 4 years. After 12 years of good service they turn from red/blue to gold.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Hehe yeah, I noticed the same about one of data's medals. I guess the prop people were being quick and dirty.

The service marker thing is more of an out of character situation. Remember I'm not just making this stuff for the sake of drawing star trek stuff, it's intended to be used in a simming environment. Three years would be an eternity, hehe.

So the players will get these every six months until they hit the 3yr mark, and then once a year after.

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Someone wandered into a thread of mine on another board and asked if i'd really worked on Ark Royal's carrier nature, so I gave him a bit of an update.

Ark Royal is a carrier, like her namesake. In addition to a complement of shuttles and runabouts, she carries two primary types of combat craft - Shuriken fighters and Shinto bombers in a few different variants.

I never got around to finishing the flight suit. It's on my 'to-do' list, hehe. It will probably end up getting a redesign cuz I didn't quite like the way it was going.
 -

Most recently I was working on the deck support stuff for Ark Royal, crew and equipment. I started with the deck tractor, and I'm working on attachments for it.
 -

And like any carrier, a certain amount of her crew dedicated to dealing with the aircraft will be from the ship, and from the air wing itself. In addition to their ordinary duties maintaining and operating the ship's indigenous auxiliary craft, the Flight Crew (belonging to the ship) works with the Air Crew (belonging to the Air Wing). Some of those positions overlap. And it's kind of sorted out here.

clicky

Hope that helps. [Smile]

As always, if anyone has any comments or questions, I'm always happy to oblige!

[ August 25, 2008, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Fabrux ]

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, as always. Some of the air-crew jumpsuits look like the type of suits racecar drivers and their pit crews wear. They look awesome though. Might we be able to thumbnail these though, so they don't completely distort the page?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Sorry about that. Got used to forum software that auto-resizes the images these days. And apparently it's past the stage when I can edit it (why does Flare even use that?)
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a kind passing mod will help...
*Sounds the Fabrux bugle*

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahkileez: From what I understand of the source code of UBB, it's not an option that can be turned off :-P
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Maybe a kind passing mod will help...
*Sounds the Fabrux bugle*

Tada.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps