Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Ark Royal Stuff - Misc. Illustrations (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Ark Royal Stuff - Misc. Illustrations
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the long term missions we see on Trek, I'm not sure that the air crew/ship crew division would be maintained. It is one thing for a 6 month rotation, but Trek ships seem to, frequently, have very long term mission, much more like ships of the line back in the day.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well a heavy carrier like this would not be a long-duration ship. One way of keeping her from being a 'supership' is to have her need a lot of support.

She's got those four huge impulse engines, one or possibly two (some people theorize) warp drives, her complement of fighters and shuttles - all of that is going to eat through fuel like crazy, especially if her engines concentrate more on power than efficiency. Add to that the fact that in full berserker mode she'd go through a torpedo complement like a pirhana and she would be on a shorter 'leash' than explorer ships.

Ark Royal is the anchor ship for an operational wing of a task force. She's the heavy hitter/carrier in the lot, but also the command ship for it in keeping with the modern role of carriers. But that wing also carries support ships to keep Ark and the other ships topped off, move crew around, etc.

It was my way to voluntarily kneecap the Akira a little so it's not all fanwank-driven.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea of a bomber named "Shinto" bothers me.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not the first time I've heard that.

The term isn't just related to the religion.

Japanese katanas go through 'ages', where the styling and smithing methods change and evolve.

"Shinto" is the current age of katanas.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obscure.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Hehe, obscure yes. But reasoned.

I wanted to come up with some Japanese-inspired names for the combat craft she carries to coincide with the "Akira" designation of their mothership, but nothing too hokey so they could stand on their own.

My ego would be gorged if people were to take my image of the Akira as the fandom one of choice, but I'm not holding my breath on that. So really I'm just concerning myself with making the best damn representation of the Akira *I* would like. [Smile]

emperorkalan
Member # 1821

- posted      Profile for emperorkalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try era names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_era_name

--------------------
Old jedi never die...
The just fade in and out.

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Try them with what? The name of the class of ship?

These era names don't seem to be related to katanas. They're something else entirely.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
emperorkalan, I believe Ahkileez was referriong to the eras of Japanese Katanas, or Samuri swords. Not dynasty eras. Shinto is also a religion though, no?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Ahkileez
Member # 734

It is indeed.

I've actually had this design, and name, for a great many years now. And since the moment I gave it that name I've had people tut-tutting me about that. Hehe.

I suppose I could change it, but laziness is such a comfortable state.

emperorkalan
Member # 1821

- posted      Profile for emperorkalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
emperorkalan, I believe Ahkileez was referriong to the eras of Japanese Katanas, or Samuri swords. Not dynasty eras. Shinto is also a religion though, no?

Yes, sorry, I'd missed the other thread which made that obvious. If the names have to be Katana-related, then the suggestions would be schools of swordmaking, names of famed swordsmiths, and names of famed swordsmen.

--------------------
Old jedi never die...

emperorkalan
Member # 1821

quote:
Originally posted by emperorkalan:
Yes, sorry, I'd missed the other thread which made that obvious. If the names have to be Katana-related, then the suggestions would be schools of swordmaking, names of famed swordsmiths, and names of famed swordsmen.

Or to further tie it to "Akira", swordsmen from Kurosawa movies.

--------------------
Old jedi never die...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No- it's clearly named after the sushi chef on The Simpsons.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.