Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Ragnar Class Science vessel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ragnar Class Science vessel
ragnvald
Member # 2082

- posted      Profile for ragnvald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, im still new at this but this is my first run at making my own vessel, model and all. Anywho, this is my pet, the Ragnar class science vessel.
These pics are what i have so far.
the basic spec i have devised are

Size: 272m x 44m x 100m (L x H x W)
Crew: 112
Decks: 11
Speed: Warp 8.5- 9.0
Armaments: I dont know exactly but perhaps yall might be able to help
for a science vessel i figure something like the Nova but maybe a little heavier, considering the unrest in the quadrant around this time and the size of the vessel

i figure it to be contemporary wit h the Sovereign, Intrepid, and Nova class era

This was the first build:
Ragnar 1st build

This is the current build (2):
Ragnar 2nd build

ragnvald
Member # 2082

- posted      Profile for ragnvald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is more of build 2:
R2 front
R2 Side
Photobucket

ragnvald
Member # 2082

remember the ship is
272 x 100 x 44

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...You again!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

ragnvald
Member # 2082

Well people on this site may not be there and i want as much input as possible
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What program are you using to model it? If that program doesn't have a rendering engine, perhaps you can figure out how to convert it to .pov format and render it with POV-Ray so it looks solid instead of that wireframey look.

It does look like it's contemporary with Intrepid et al. Sort of looks like a cross between Nova and Intrepid really, in shape I mean.

As for armament...something like 2 forward and 1 aft torpedo tube (probably photon but perhaps quantum) and maybe a dozen phaser arrays?

ragnvald
Member # 2082

can you recomend any other program, like an idiot i did it in Sketchup so i wont do or render the file. I guess ill have to find another one and redo it
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember back in the swingin' 90's, the Starfleet ship charts usually had an Intrepid design with large Sovvy-like nacelles. I always wanted to see that ship in a 3d-model, seemed more potent than the little nacelle buds of the Intrepid. This design kind of reminds me of that thing.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends if you have money or not. If yes, Bryce or 3DStudioMAX (if you're flippin' rich) or Maya (if you're flippin' richer). If not, perhaps Art of Illusion - the learning curve is a bit steep but it's free and exports to .pov which is a great render engine. Supports photon mapping, metablobs, all sorts of neat things.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kerkythea is a free rendering program that can import Sketchup models.

Other free options are Blender (modeler/animator & renderer) or Wings3D (modeler mostly).

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also find gmax out there someplace, the free version of 3DSM. Turbo Squid I think. Renders with pov-ray also.

k3d is another open source. It may have a different name, of that is the new name. It's been a while.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

ragnvald
Member # 2082

Thanks BJ Kerkyther works pretty good

Photobucket

this is bild 3

ragnvald
Member # 2082

i cant quite figure out how to do the nacelles but i am working on it
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice.
I would put one torpedo tube on the dorsal forward saucer, maybe on deck 3 or 4 ( when you get far enough along to determine deck numbers), another on the very bottom of the secondary forward hull, like the E-E, and one aft, between the nacell pylons. I'm sure there would be room around that area even if there is a shuttle bay in that area, and it would still give the launcher a pretty good firing arc. As for phasers, I'd go for multiple smaller arrays around the saucer instead of one or two huge ones like Voyager; none maybe more than a third-saucer in length. Something similar to the placement on a Nova class vessel.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

ragnvald
Member # 2082

Photobucket

i think these work and look okay?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps