Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Bastet Drawing (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bastet Drawing
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was that joke Teal'c told about a Jaffa with a dripping nose?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 jaffa meet on a field of battle. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The Horus guards' beak glistens. The Setesh guard's.... nose drips.

LOL!!!

I had a whole list of hemlmet possibilities written up at one point. Here are two of the ones I designed.

-

-

I remember another one I thought would be cool was Olocun's, but the problem is, the Jaffa helmets were originally designed to look like Egyptian figure drawings. Goa'uld pretending to be god's from other races might have different Jaffa armor. Though, it all seems to be pretty standardized.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet- that second one has a very "Dark Crystal" thing going on.

It'd be cool to see a Cthulhu headpiece- articulated tenticles could frame the visor with a large "eye" gem on either side lined up at the temples.

That whole "Demons" episode made no sense- why would they be Quakers or puritans or whatever.
Someone must have returned to earth, nabbed a shipload of colonists or a settlement and placed them on that planet- Jesus beliefs and all- and then played Satan to keep them in line.

Odd...we never really saw any satanists, though Sokar had several planets under his control and really seemed to believe his own hype (unlike Baaal and the other system-lords).

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Aban, but something about them seems a little 'light' on top - not symmetrical or something. I gather those designs are based more off of the Horus Guards?

The Serpent Guard helmets were more all-over a snake head. Maybe for the skull one - make it overall more a skull other than just a 'standard base' with skull.

Setesh guard... weren't there helmet type things surrounding Seth's 'throne' in the compound? Depicting that animal?

Also - Did anyone ever identify all the different Goa'uld system lords in that episode with the Goa'uld Hierarchy pyramid hologram?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the Jaffa helmets were woefully un-balanced. The Serpent Guards are top-heavy with these huge wide cobra heads; the Horus Guards are bottom-heavy with these tiny little bird heads.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...not "bottom heavy" really- just (slightly) more practical in that the weight rests lower- possibly on the shoulders.

The serpent guards could probably get knocked over like bowling pins with those goofy helmets.

Did those do anything? Night vision or air-cooling maybe?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the headpiece has no visible eye-holes one would presume they gave some form of enhanced vision, though it would take some practice to fight in it, given the mask's eyes are much higher than the wearer's. That is of course assuming the mask's eyes are the sensors.
Mind you, I think their purpose (as demonstrated in the movie) is mostly psychological. Of course in the movie they weren't "Jaffa" but the actual gods Anubis and Horus, at least as far as the humble people of bunny-wey were concerned.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, they were based more on the movie helmets. I never liiked the serpent helmets. Also... the use of the helmets at all makes little sense in the TV universe. All the Jaffa know exactly what the Jaffa are... there would be no psychological effect when they're fighting each other, which they seem to do alot more than they fight human slave populations.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Imagine armies of impossibly encumbered warriors clumsily staggering toward each other- with those staff weapons no less-!
Fighting on sand dunes would be hilarity- Jaffa sliding around in the sand, falling over, trying to get back up, falling down again ...over and over...

Now if the helmet did really useful stuff it would almost make sense- like groups of Jaffa circling a position so sensors in the helmets can triangulate an enemy stronghold for an orbiting ship's weapons....heck, the helmets might even have a lockout that prevents anyone without the jaffa tatoo from useing their higher functions.
A wise system lord might even booby-trap the helmets to prevent an uprising- something that electrocutes the wearer.

Wht do the Jaffa wear that silly armor anyway? It stops nothing from killing the wearer.
You'd think it owuld at least be bullet proof.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's one of the things that makes much more sense in the movie than in the series. In the movie, Ra is basically playing a big bluff, ruling with only two "gods" a couple of gliders and a (seemingly unarmed) mothership. As soon as the people stopped being afraid of their "gods" they easily overwhelmed Anubis and Horus and the staff weapon proves to be next to useless at close range and/or against superior numbers. It certainly makes the Earth rebellion and the 10,000 years of no contact with Ra more plausible. He was afraid to come back to a world that didn't fear him and when he found out how far they'd come, was directly threatened by them.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.