Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Post-Daedalus Heavy Cruiser (Page 10)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Post-Daedalus Heavy Cruiser
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or just give it an NX or NXP registry, assuming it's a one of a kind.
As for the forward turrets, for purely aesthetic reasons I'd try removing the outer two on the top row and the inner pair on the bottom row.

Dragon-Class sounds a bit odd to me. Perhaps Draco-Class would be a little less on the nose? Or even Dragoon-Class if you want to evoke lizards and the military with a single word?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, I like Kris' idea for the cannons!

Concerning the Olympus Mons, yeah it's out of date. But the rest of the ships are IMO valid. Besides, so what if the numbers are slightly out of order? It just means that the Wasp was planned for a longer time than Dragon. (Maybe Dragon can be NCC-243, set right after the Wasp block.)

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way the laser cannons are from the front view, it looks like a spider. Kind-of...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I blame Minutiae Man for any confusion about numbers.

For my recent ships, the class name is not the name of a ship, but a descriptor of the kind of names that ships have. This is something the RN did. There was the "Weapon" class and the "Tribal" class. I think I already used "Draco" for one of my transport ships. And one of my Al-Burak ships is called USS Dragon.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite much googling and wiki'ing I can't seem to find what a bustle is in the context of a ship's superstructure. Enlightenment por favor?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The aft most bit of the ship. It comes from a 19th-century bit of women's clothing, a pad or frame that extended a skirt behind the woman.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Despite much googling and wiki'ing I can't seem to find what a bustle is in the context of a ship's superstructure. Enlightenment por favor?

I think I originally got the term from armored vehicles. Sometimes, tanks have a counterweight on the back of the turret when a large gun is mounted. This is referred to as a bustle, after the padding at the back of skirts to increase the apparent lordosis (bend of the back).

--------------------

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't find an instance of it being used in this way, but I seem to recollect "bustle" being an archaic term for the armor belt at the waterline on early iron warships.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was also used to refer to the .50 cal machine gun turrets on B-17 and B-29 bombers.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am flooded with info and thankful.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

quote:
I am flooded...
Time to call FEMA... [Wink]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

quote:
Originally posted by aridas:
I can't find an instance of it being used in this way, but I seem to recollect "bustle" being an archaic term for the armor belt at the waterline on early iron warships.

Google for turret bustle and you'll find some references. Mostly about Shermans.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps