Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Post-Daedalus Heavy Cruiser (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Post-Daedalus Heavy Cruiser
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swapped out the original overly-wide drawing for a new one with more definitive nacelles and some hull detailing for effect. These nacelles are a development of ones I've used before, but I'm not sure if I like them so much. Maybe straight ones are better.

Priimary hull: I thought about an asymmetrical hull, but since symmetrical hulls were used by later ships (Wasp and Moskva), I didn't want to introduce one on this ship. However, this hull shape is new by being neither a ball or an egg. The equator is flat enough, I think without adding a flat-sided slice.

Neck: I also considered an angled neck, but it made the ship look less aggressive. (Showing the front of the neck is a submissive posture in animals.) If the neck and primary hull are raised, then the secondary hull doesn't have to have that ventral extension, which is a chief part of the design. Also, I wanted to have a horizontal neck like Daedalus. This ship is probably late 2160s to early 2170s, so borrows quite a bit from Daedalus.
Running the neck all the way to tail I think is excessive. The ship already has those long nacelles, so visually I think it's too much. Also, I'm not going to put the nacelle supports through the neck. That's one thing I really hate about Daedalus!

History: Minutiae, you're spot on.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nacells make it look bloated.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
The nacells make it look bloated.

Yeah, I agree. I'm still working stuff out. I just started this drawing yesterday.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...you're right about the new nacelles. A little odd. Maybe if they were a little bigger at the front than at the back? This posited extrapolation of the ST XI Enterprise kind of shows what I mean. Like flare the fronts a little, or "bulb" them...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Hmm...you're right about the new nacelles. A little odd. Maybe if they were a little bigger at the front than at the back? This posited extrapolation of the ST XI Enterprise kind of shows what I mean. Like flare the fronts a little, or "bulb" them...

Yikes! I want to get as far away from that as possible!

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:

I concur thoroughly. It looks like a badly drawn, ready-to-fall-over TOS ship.

That said, it's easy to fall into a sort of TOS era trap, wherein everything looks sorta like a badly drawn Connie.

Speaking of, may I replace the original Asia with Bernd's revised Asia for you in the Cruiser Chart? Pretty please? Nothin' but love for ya, but I gotta say it sticks out like a sore Conniewannabe thumb.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That "extrapolation" of the Movie E is fucking ugly! The nacells look like they got stuck in a trash compactor. Scotty DEFFINATELY wont be having any dreams about that...pug.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

I just realized that the top view of the ships reveals that I've been watching way too much Battlestar Galactica recently.

"Never cross the streams!"

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:

Looks like the E is suffering from Elephantiasis. May I ask where got it from? It's not so bad, it looks like a sturdier version of Re-imagined Enterprise from a while back. Though I don't like the idea of the E having neck strut torpedo tubes before TMP.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Reverend about the neck. If you think it's excessive to take it all the way back, well, it's your baby [Wink] But I do think in that case the neck should be brought "down." That 'hump' where the neck joins the secondary hull sort of makes it look like the Starship of Notre Dame [Razz]

Movie extrapolation: Ah GOD! What the FUCK? Those nacelles look they have a botfly infection. Yuck.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I didn't even notice the neck launchers until now. Ugly...

--------------------

-George Carlin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

There's no way in hell the nacelles are going to look like that. The maker of that extrapolation is being fooled, I hope, by that front view from the trailer in which the bussards look enormous.

Dan Butler: The rounded end of the neck might be a good place for a shuttle bay. "Humpback" is not a bad thing for this ship. I want it to look a bit monstrous.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there were rumors of there being multiple versions of the E due to the Romulans altering history. God knows what they'll come up with.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Th...th...th...the romulans?

--------------------

-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:

I don't mean EXACTLY like that...but like...pointier bussard caps, a & a slight flare at the fore end with a gentle taper back. Enough to give a sense of overpoweredness with a smoother like. Like...argh. Hard to explain. I could draw it, but I can't scan it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Looks like the E is suffering from Elephantiasis. May I ask where got it from? It's not so bad, it looks like a sturdier version of Re-imagined Enterprise from a while back. Though I don't like the idea of the E having neck strut torpedo tubes before TMP.

It's from trek BBS, I think...someone did it based on what was shown in the trailer. And yeah, it's a lot better than the Koernerprise. My only real problem is with the winglet/intercooler size. And the pylon flanging, but that's understandable for things.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps