Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Post-Daedalus Heavy Cruiser (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Post-Daedalus Heavy Cruiser
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US at the time didn't want Canada to have its own powerful plane - they wanted us dependent. So they conned Diefenbaker into scrapping the Arrow and signing up for a missile defense system. Fucking Diefenbaker.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if we were ever afraid of war with Canada. For some reason, the film Canadian Bacon comes to mind.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it was probably economically motivated.
I imagine the only threat Canada poses to the US is as a route through which others (the Soviets at the time) can attack.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless their guy in a hunter's vest in a john-boat Navy suddenly appeared one day, in, er, Lake Ontario and...threatened us with...fair liquor prices and friendly demeanors?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in return we'd demand sane fuel prices.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, now, that's OPEC's fault. Oh and the terrorists.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update.
I'm thinking that one reason this ship wasn't successful was that it was overloaded with soon-to-be-obsolete weapons and couldn't be adapted for other uses when a second war with the Romulans failed to occur. Conversion of weapons' spaces to other uses was possible but was considered too expensive.

Version 5.2

Just to see how it looked, I've gone a bit crazy with the weapons.

Also, I need to pick names for these ships. I will use names of a single category. I'm thinking their will be from 5 to 10 names, at most. The categories I'm considering are:
1. Dragons (Azazel, Gorynych, Ryujin, Sirrush, Sarkany, Xiuhcoatl et al)
2. Big cats (Lion, Sabertooth, Tiger, Leopard, Jaguar, Cougar, Panther, Puma, Cheetah, Lynx)
3. Theropod Dinos (Tyrranosaurus, Allosaurus, Carnotaurus, Gorgosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Megalosaurus, Gigantosaurus)
4. Heroes and Battles of the Romulan War (none yet).

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Dragons!

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about some Starship Troopers references? Hold on, I have the book as a txt file somewhere...

ah, here we are.

quote:
I was so full of it all that I couldn't talk about it, so I studied the lists. Whew, what a lot of ships! They were posted by types, too many to locate otherwise. I started reading off the troop carriers, the only ones that matter to an M. I.
There was the Mennerheim! Any chance of seeing Carmen? Probably not, but I could send a dispatch and find out.
Big ships -- the new Valley Forge and the new Ypres, Merathon, El Alamein, Iwo, Gallipoli, Leyte, Marne, Tours, Gettysburg, Hastings, Alamo, Waterloo -- all places where mud feet had made their names to shine.
Little ships, the ones named for foot sloggers: Horatius, Alvin York, Swamp Fox, the Rog herself, bless her heart, Colonel Bowie, Devereux, Vercingetorix, Sandino, Aubrey Cousens, Kamehameha, Audie Murphy, Xenophon, Aguinaldo --
I said, "There ought to be one named Magsaysay."

quote:
I turned back and went on reading ships' names: Pal Maleter, Montgomery, Tchaka, Geronimo --
Then came the sweetest sound in the world: " -- shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young!"

Should be some appropriately militant ideas in there. Personally I like the sound of Vercingetorix. Sound like the sort of name an Admiral with an unhealthily romantic view of military history might pick.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not name it the Edsel class?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the laser cannons on the front are quite appropriate, but maybe only two pairs. The Moskva and the Lancaster both had fixed cannon mounts, so I think it'd actually be weird for this one to NOT have them.

Two ideas for names... how about either great generals (Hannibal, Alexander, Napoleon, Caesar, Shaka, Saladin, Akbar, etc.) or ancient gods of violence and war (Ares, Shiva, Sekhmet, Odin, Camulos, Ishtar)? And there could probably be some non-Terran names in that list, too.

Something tells me that the ex-UESN generals would probably want as grandiose a name for their pet project as they could get.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

You could name them after tanks. Sherman, Tiger, Matilda, Lepeord,etc...

If this thing was designed to be the ultimate fighting machine, why not the names of the premier ships of different classes of battleships ?

Dreadnaught, Bismark, Yamato, Ajax ( although I think you already have a ship named that), Iowa, Maine, Brandenburg...

--------------------

-George Carlin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with Earth generals, tanks, battleships, and Starship Troopers is that they've already been used by lots of people (me included). Gods of war might be good, but I'm pretty sure I've seen those as well.

I think I'll limit my choices to my four alternatives.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only catch with your selections are that none of them really seem to feel right. While the dragon types are interesting, they seem..I don't know, clumsy somehow, with most of them inducing a "WTF is that?" The big cats might work, but many of them evoke smaller, swifter vessels; also, I'd expect to see the Apple logo somewhere on the hull. The dinosaurs...well, maybe 1 or 2 would work, but a whole class of "saur" or "saurus"? Enh. The Romulan War idea could work as well, but as you've said, you & everyone else have done personnel & battles before. Still, out of the 4, it's the least iffy to me.

I thought about the ships & their tech & design while pondering alternatives: big, trying to be something they can't, both overpowered & underpowered in terms of weaponry & engine. The hopes should be reflected in that name scheme. Of course, the size idea came up--names like Behemoth, Leviathan, Mammoth, Olympic, or Gigantic--but those are...I dunno, weak to me. They're "too cute."

In the end, my proffered potential alternative is to use mountains. There's something majestic & imposing about mountains that seem to suit the class, or what the ideal of the class was. You can use singular ones (Everest, Kilimanjaro, Erebus, Matterhorn) or whole ranges (Rockies, Himalaya(s), Caucasus, Alps), & both can come from Earth, the Sol system (Olympus Mons, Silpium Mons, Jura Montes, Freyja Montes) or extrasolar systems (Seleya, Tar'Hana, Pointed Peaks), with the last allowing you freedom of naming some.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

I've done mountains before (Olympus Mons class, including Mt. Seleya). Leviathan, et al., are all ocean liner names. They don't sound so military.

This will be a small class, so any pain induced by the names will be minor. I think I'll go with dragons.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps