Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Robotech/Macross Anime Music Video

Author Topic: Robotech/Macross Anime Music Video
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't got much video of my own to cut and I need the practice. (Sci-fi is hard on low-budg.) My cinematographer had an idea for a sequence which, when the sets are up and the models are built/textured and lit, I'm planning to put together as a teaser. So years. Also storyboarding from scratch is hard, so taking my inspiration from Lucas WWII gun-camera footage trench-run sketch, I cut up a bunch of episodes from Robotech and set them to music to try to tell a story. A different story than was in Robotech. Possibly with less whining. And more Muse. It is here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OTzc5uOmJ-c

Please let me know what you think. Sound off in the comments field even.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:
Sound off in the comments field even.

Channeling Snagglepuss now, are we?
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... 1st off...

use the animation from the Macross sourse over anything from HG. even if it's from a DVD from HG, use the original with subs. Using material from Homotech... uh... makes me want to fist myself to make the pain GO AWAY...

didn't like any of the scenes containing Hikaru's ARMORED VF-1J (kinda makes you ask, where the armor from, since he launched from the Prometheus in Fighter Mode AND all good knowledgable Mecha Otaku know it wasn't until Frontier that they developed a Full Armor capable of allowing a Battroid to transform to Gerwalk or Fighter)

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.... other than that... nice work. surprising better than some other tripe i've seen peps slap together with bondo, duct tap and sperm...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. See, I've never seen the original Macross source. I've been very curious. I think if I'd been trying to stay true to anything but myself, I might have tried to go to that. But you work with what you've got. I had the crappy American knockoff.

About the armored fighter specifically: I loved the missile clusters firing off and really wanted that shot in there. If you'll notice, it's the only one where you can see the armor clearly, and only for a brief moment.

Honestly I'd hoped non-macross/Robotech fans would watch, minus the bias of the original story. Because really I was going for something quite separate.

BJ, I have no idea what you're talking about. (Exit, stage right.)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not into the whole giant robots in space thing so I shan't comment on that side of things. However I do feel the choice of song was a little weak. There's allot of build up and when it kinda does take off it's still rather ponderous, low tempo and doesn't match the pace of some of the footage. I understand if you don't want high octane balls to the wall type music, however the song is very distracting in that it sounds like it's about to go somewhere and never really does.
So I'd advise something that cuts to the chase a little quicker and/or has a chase worth cutting to.
A good example of matching mood with pace, with some rather nice timed edits can be found here. It's Nightwish's Tenth Man Down played to footage from Justice League Unlimited. Not that Nighwish would have been my personal choice, but it seams to work. I think it's a breed of music that only really works well along side effective imagery.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.