Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Kiaga

Author Topic: Kiaga
aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you guys might enjoy seeing the excellent modeling work being done by Jason Lee (aka Vektor on TrekBBS) on my design for the perimeter action ship Kiaga first mentioned in my intro to Todd Guenther's Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume II. Here is my concept:

http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/kiaga-color.jpg

My multi-view plans are available in the threads featuring Jason's modeling:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/10426-uss-kiaga-perimeter-action-vessel.html

and

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=58577

Kiaga was mentioned as a "Pike-era" precursor to the TWOK-era Akyazi from Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume II. Kiaga is the first of its "perimeter action ship" type, built to meet the demands of a war between the Federation and the Klingons that supposedly took place in Garth's time -- ~2250.

Despite what some might think, the design wasn't at all influenced by Akira, at least not in any way I can imagine. Akyazi predates that design by quite a bit, and Akyazi was what I was aiming at and trying to create a logical precursor for. It had to have that logical, "everything has a purpose" appearance, while having a menacing, stealthy look, like Akyazi. To that end, I was inspired first by Akyazi, second by Jason's TOS-era Vanguard, and
finally by Masao's Avenger. These were ship designs that excelled in the way I wanted Kiaga to excel -- sensible and slick.

Functionally, I looked to a "California dash duster" for inspiration, because I was looking for a way to invert the classic "saucer connected-to-a-secondary-hull" look without regressing to the proto-Enterprise first built by Matt Jefferies. You know, the one that flipped over and led to the eventual design. I was thinking smaller than a heavy cruiser, and upside down. I saw that duster and it hit me-- make the bridge and dorsal and secondary hull one continuous, fluid shape, distinguished as to function by the detailing.

Once I had the basic form, I looked to several cars from the 1940s for hints on detailing. I wanted a different, bolder kind of art deco influence on the design, to hint that by the time of TMP, this kind of design influence had been refined and toned down quite a bit.

Then I looked to designer Luigi Colani for hints on how to enhance its organic, dangerous look. Sort of Star Fleet's answer to the menacing, manta/cobra look of the D-7.

I hope you enjoy it.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my. Vektor always does outstanding work.

I always wondered what the Kiaga looked like ever since I first read mention of it. I think you've successfully designed a ship that is very functional yet fits in with the other ships of the era. The nacelle arrangement reminds me a lot of the Detroyat. Those baffles on the bussard collectors are an interesting idea...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, that boy is good. Dang.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes sleek and sexy, and yet still intimidating.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I like how the nacelles come to a point at the aft end, but otherwise it's nice.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, that thing doesn't look built, it looks congealed.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.