Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Bradbury redux (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: USS Bradbury redux
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, guess you really can't polish a turn after all.

Moving on, here's a very quick sketch of the colony ship concept. Obviously it's very crude and the proportions aren't what they should be, but I think you can get a sense of the concept.
 -
I designed the saucer to split into 5 pieces and reconnect on the ground to form a central complex. Also because it's meant to land, the sensor array is on the top instead of the usual place on the bottom.
As for the stardrive, I would think it'd stay in orbit so they can use the main sensors and long range comms via uplink.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the bridge and sensor array could stay with the stardrive and the saucer and perhaps the 'red pods' could be moved to the surface?

I suppose another route is to drop the saucer in orbit and leave. Let it serve as a space station, albeit a small one. it might be better for your base of operations to stay in orbit where it is safe from whatever odd climate, fauna or other environmental issues that the planet may have hidden from the survey teams.

If the saucer has its own power, shuttle bay, impulse engines and transporters - even an industrial replicator - it could sit in orbit and provide for the growth of the ground-based colony.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ages ago I had a sort of idea about taking an old ship, like something Masao designed, heavily modifiying it and converting that into a base, planet side.

I think for my own ammusement I might still toy with the Bradbury, just for fun.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're on your own Ginger, we've given up on the Brad as an engineering experiment and that's as far as it goes. It certainly doesn't look modular in any way.

As for the colony ship idea, I'm all over it. We should maybe start a new thread with ideas first though, just so we know what we're creating first off, rather than kitbashing starships without know what's going to be required.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice as the initial sketch is for that ship, Rev, is that anything related to the Braddy?

*whips Rev for better looking sketch* Improve it! (cause that does look interesting, oddly enough)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps