Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Masao's ships from 1974 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Masao's ships from 1974
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going through papers at my parents' house in Minnesota and found these drawings I did when I was in junior high school. Just for laughs, I thought I'd share. I figure they're circa 1974, about when the Franz Joseph stuff was published and TAS aired.

For some reason, I was interested in cargo ships. I apparently never drew cruisers, other than USS Enterprise.
 -
 -

I probably drew this from memory after watching the TAS episodes.  -

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, in honor of President-elect Obama, a recent illustration from the New York Observer.

-

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The drawings are very nice! Especially for a 12 year-old. The cartoon...hilarious!

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Thanks. I think I was about 14 when I did these. My skills with a pencil haven't improved much, I'm afraid.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, those pencil drawings are still better than any of the stuff I sketched in my high school notebooks! Talent is relative.

I just have one silly question to ask about that first cargo ship... how does a shuttlecraft get through the aft bay doors? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Maybe it drops in vertically? Unfortunately, the 14-year-old Masao is not here to answer your question.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should re-make that design with your current mad skillz. [Wink]

As a challenge you must keep the cargo thingie a big box.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like how massive that one ship is next to the Enterprise. Many current-day cargo ships are *much* larger than a military cruiser.
Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit too massive, though. That things' damn near a starbase at that scale. Remember, the Enterprise is considered a very big ship at the time, so ships larger than she, even freighters, should be considered fairly rare.

Still, it's interesting enough that I may have to play with it later.. even if Masao DID trace the hell out of the Technical Manual to make it. [Wink]

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the shuttle doors are above the top plane of the cargo box.

Nice work. Wish I'd kept my stuff from when I was 14.

Maso, You're older than I am? Heh, I feel better now...

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

@ Jason Abaddon and Vanguard: I suggest that neither I nor anyone else should try to do anything with these designs. It would be like "polishing a turd," as they say in the VFX business. They were posted for historical purposes only! I am quite proud of Huron, though, as it's pretty close to the onscreen appearance.

@ HerbShrump: I'm as old as Flint. Most of the older guys have already died or become senile. I'm only able to post because I've transferred my consciousness to an advanced android body.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But we like making you work!
The massive boxlike thing might be a portable repair facility- from the rear it woud be all open.
It could also be a spaceborne foundry for refining metals mined in a system's asteroid belt and the ship tows it from location to location: the refined metals would be picked up by other starships/freighters.
You'd need a large starship in a case wherein the miners have no place for leave and make their life out in the darkness of space...kinda like people living for extended periods on oil rigs far out at sea.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
[QB] @ Jason Abaddon and Vanguard: I suggest that neither I nor anyone else should try to do anything with these designs. It would be like "polishing a turd," as they say in the VFX business. They were posted for historical purposes only! I am quite proud of Huron, though, as it's pretty close to the onscreen appearance.

Have you not SEEN my gallery posted? Polishing turds is what I do, since 90 percent of the fandom and official Trek designs are just that. I just thought it might be fun to play with, and with some surprisingly minor tweaking, it could easily be an early TOS freighter.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Vanguard: Go ahead, man. But if you're messing with 34-year-old designs by a 14-year-old, you must have a lot of time on your hands!

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I wouldn't touch that with a rolled up turk's slipper.
If anyone got a look at my starship drawings from when I were a nipper and decided they were worth "polishing" I'd likewise conclude they have far to much time on their hands, feet, elbows and other miscellaneous extremities.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps