Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Vanguard's Color Tests (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Vanguard's Color Tests
Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's a more primitive version of SFB's Prometheus class strike cruiser. I simply kept the Constitution-style pylons and lost the heavy torpedo launcher (for now).

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
What was the point of the Heston according to FASA? Was it just a smaller version of the connie?

That's how I feel about the Belknap- just re-configuring the parts makes little sense to me.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the Decatur/Belknap is more than just a simple re-arrangement... the secondary hull is smaller, the neck is longer fore-aft, the pylons and nacelles are all in a detachable unit, etc.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait do you mean this Belknap?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close enough, yeah. Oog on the actual model, though.

Man, this really does take me back. This morning, I was reading one fan publication from the early 90s that supposed the real reason all the TOS/movie starships had the same saucer was that each new design prototype actually used a decommissioned Ptolemy-class tug saucer, as there were dozens of them left over from when they ditched the container ship idea. Low stresses on the hull from years of hauling pods around at safe warp speeds, you know.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah the model is an oldie, could use an update [Wink]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Belknap class is in the 2500-range! Not 1717 (Yorktown)! [Razz]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Close enough, yeah. Oog on the actual model, though.

Man, this really does take me back. This morning, I was reading one fan publication from the early 90s that supposed the real reason all the TOS/movie starships had the same saucer was that each new design prototype actually used a decommissioned Ptolemy-class tug saucer, as there were dozens of them left over from when they ditched the container ship idea. Low stresses on the hull from years of hauling pods around at safe warp speeds, you know.

Mark

Possibly the single lamest idea ever.
Mass production and modular interior parts alone would account for the saucer's external uniformity on so many ships....not that these other designs are canon anyway.
Personally, I like the notion of a saucer being reduced in diameter during costruction based on the deflector grid lines- or instance, Vangurad made a nice Andor class schematic- the Andor having a smaller saucer than the Connie Refit- and there's no need to make a custom saucer when the same stock Connie refit saucer can just have that last ring of saucer removed during construction.
A shipyard might make several saucers in a production run this way without their being assigned a dedicated ship class.

All the interior walls and components would be modular- only the supporting spaceframe, turboshafts, and power conduits need remain standard- thus allowing for ease of repair and rescue in energencies.
Unique saucers for each class would lead to real problems during emergencies- crewmen from one class of ship would be hindered in efforts to aid a ship in distress and re-training crew transfers would be a nightmare.

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Sternbach's Baton Rouge class heavy cruiser, circa 2227 STC
This is basically "Mod 1" for this ship, based on the original drawings with only a few minor tweaks to be more 'Cage-like' in appearance

http://www.pixelsagas.com/gallery/albums/userpics/J_Fed_Baton_Rouge_2227.png

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Pretty nice, though that wok in the front looks kinda big for that class. [Wink]
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always liked the Batton Rouge, but that secondary hull always bugged me - all straight lines, euhg. Are you gonna have the one on your site as the refit version then?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Ah the Baton Rouge, I always liked the design, like a Bizarro Constitution class.
Vanguard
Member # 1780

The Mod 2 will be the version that's on my site now (with the Horizon-style engines, which seem too modern to be the Horizon, mind you... oy...) . I haven't decided what other tweaks I'll do to the BR for that set yet. I keep going back and forth on the secondary hull, but it seems like that's pretty much what's expected now.

I MAY tweak the Mod 1 one more time to redo the engine pylons to reflect the painting rather than the line art. It's much easier to work with that way.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Vanguard
Member # 1780

Nordenskjold Class
Starship goes QUACK?

http://www.pixelsagas.com/gallery/albums/userpics/J_Fed_Nordenskjold_2227.png

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Y'got some left over artifacts on the image there, boyo. But great job on these so far.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps