Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » One of the best CGI jobs i've seen

Author Topic: One of the best CGI jobs i've seen
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I stumbled apon this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgSEWZ9O-I0&feature=related

Basically a CGI tour of the original Enterprise. It's a re-edit of a work done by another person, but they made it a really superior video in my opinion. The music they's used adds to the feel of the movie.

Anyway I think it's some of the most REALISTIC CGI that i've ever seen. The lighting is fantastic - it reminds me of Seanr's work. So many people just CAN'T do realistic CGI lights and lighting. This looks spot on.

Also one other thing the Enterprise exterior shot at the start, while not the best model out there - something about the way it's "shot" reminds me of the Enterprise from Star Trek 2 and 3. Is it the angle? It actually makes the original pre-refit enterprise look like something that could be physical. I don't know what it is but the TOS stuff to me always looks 'fake' - it's only with the TMP Enterprise do we finally see starships as something that you could actually fly around and touch. Maybe it's the 'film grain' they've used?

Anyway - the interior shots are wonderful, and eerie. Especially with the clips playing on monitors etc.

Most of the shots are very artistic.

The only one i'm not fond of is the Shuttlebay one with that thing flying out of it.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gah, was blindsided by memories of that Old UA-jingle bit in the opening segment. When I was kid and we rented Pink Panther or Bond movies, that part with the turning UA-logo and the crescendo always gave me the creeps, like the sun would go down and never come up again. Think it might be the bass line.

The music in the video wasn't any cheerier, made it sound like the ship was a casualty, like the Pegasus or Stargazer (or Titanic, duh), it felt morbidly sentimental. Seeing it was John Barry, it explained why I thought it sounded and felt like when James Bond's wife gets killed, or that Bond girl gets eaten by dogs in Moonraker. Now I need a drink.

But I agree, great CGI job. The simple TOS colors and surfaces (except for those sickbay pillows, nice) all lend themselves well to simulation, and the lighting was spot-on.

They should make a higher-res video of this, Youtube can handle that nowadays. Those doors opening at 1:59 were slightly pixelly.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The music made me feel like we were creeping about in unused areas of a Bond villain's lair. Over all the CGI was really good, though.

I agree the shuttlebay was probably the weakest part, but considering how long it must've taken to build so many sets they can be forgiven for that. I'm doing a similar project with BSG and it's amazing how long it takes just collecting good references and piecing together evidence so you can really understand the shape of a room and how all the different details fit together and relate to one another.

The one thing that looked a bit dodgy was the very last shot, where it looked as though the holes for the windows had nothing behind them. I'm not sure, but it seemed as though you could see right through to the other side of the hull. Might just been untextured window boxes, though.

Either way, very impressive.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, the last ship shot wasn't the best, but the opening ship shot was.

The sick-pay pillow texture was impressive.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh - yeah, the music got me thinking about Moonraker as well [Smile]

And yeah, this CGI is quite good.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fecund that motion. *cough* movie studio fascists, sneaking around and snatching clips after my editing time has elapsed
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of good CGI jobs...
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
I fecund that motion. *cough* movie studio fascists, sneaking around and snatching clips after my editing time has elapsed

No, it's CC that's fecund. We've seen the scans.

As for those renders by Tobias, simply fantastic work, realy on par with his previous renderings of the Kelvin, but I still dislike the new imagning of the Enterprise.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.