Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Futuristic-y clock

Author Topic: Futuristic-y clock
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would a futuristic-y looking clock widget (screenlet specifically) that displays day, date, and time look like? I'm sort of stumped on design ideas...
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it you want a 'digital' looking display? You could go retro, and make it look like a nixie tube display, like the old rocket countdowns.

Or you could go all apple, and make it look like the new enterprise bridge. You might use a non standard type of cloce, like those led elevator styles.

As for format, I'd probably keep it simpele it if you want it to be usable as a widget. Something like:

MON 06 04 09
11:19

But that looks a bit boring, so I'll come up with something better.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Futuristic clock... I would try to do it as simple as possible, preferably with a minimalist analog clock face.

For wackier things, you could look at those geek designer watches with leds and other strange ways to tell time. Maybe some inspiration here: http://fuzzcraft.com/wristwatches.html

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, keep it simple. All the new pimp watches that are comming out these days look cool, but are pretty useless as timepeices because you need to stare at them for a few moments before you can even begin to work out what the time is.

They look funky, but what the hell time are they telling?

On the other hand, you're the one using it, so as long as you know how it works, go for it. Analouge will always look more classy, but a digital one might look more futuristic.

Perhaps a comprimise between a digital type display, and a traditional analouge:

-

The outer ring is minutes, the smaller middle ring is seconds, the inner big ring is hours and the time is 11:19:25

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an ad in a magazine a few years ago for a watch that had a metal cover over the watch-face with little fake hydraulic rams on the sides. So when you wanted to check the time you pushed a little button and it looks like the rams lift the cover. Not sure how futureistical that is but I thought it was a neat concept.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooh... coool. Wonder if it would look better as a circle, though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found my password after a couple of years!
Saw this last week:
http://www.thedesignblog.org/entry/tokyoflash-concept-clocks-tax-your-brain/
 -
 -

-

-

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
ooooh... coool. Wonder if it would look better as a circle, though.

-

I prefer square, but what do you think?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd wear it on my wrist. the square one or the circle.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger: Nice! I do prefer the square one. However, both have given me an idea, and I'll see how well it works [Wink]

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I think I might end up writing a screenlet tutorial once I get the API figured out since it's not documented very well...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps