Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Still tinkering

Author Topic: Still tinkering
Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a lot of time with 2 kids but my mind still has ideas. Latest is a workup based off early concept sketches. Bit of an anime feel to it as well.

-  -
Just basic shapes right now. Forward command globe (11 decks) with a boom reaching back to the shuttle bay/cargo pod. I liked the sketch with the overhead doors soI incorporated it. Two power units combining both warp and impulse power and a sensor pod/deflector slung underneath.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the general configuration but I think the nacelles should be the long daedalus (or Enterprise, if you prefer).
The ship looks a bit too Lego cutesy, all shortened and bright;y-colored.

Also, instead of the two jack-in-thebox doors on the hangar, you could have them slide down along the hull- less ship to clear during a takeoff taht way, and it would just look cool, in my less-thanhumble opinion.

I am digging it though- is that just the deflector at the end of the ventral boom?
Maybe have a Connie-style "radar dish" deflector facing both fore and aft (sorta a FJ hamage)and a pair of phasers on the sides facing starboard/port for maximum coverage.

Hmm...you could actually have just the doors for retracting Phase cannons instead of the "bead" phaser emitters- you culd even have them on the boom instead (along with a pair or two on the sphere, of course).

Also, I want a pony.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Makotokat
Member # 1041

The nacelles were a bit of an experiment. I think I might extent the back end of them back a bit. I like the original idea of Power units though, with an engineering control room inside each nacelle.

I like the idea of more of a garage door arangement on top. Mechanically it would be simpler.

That is a deflector. I intend to place the dish 'inside' the dome on a mount that will allow it to turn and still be visible. A rear one would be a good idea. One of my sketches had a torpedoe tube on either side of the deflector housing.

I like the phaser bead. again the emitter will be inside the housing.

Ponys are available at starbase 17...see the PX officer. Tell him 'Gene' sent you

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as the ponies are well-cooked and barbeque sauce is provided, I'm happy.

As to the nacelle control rooms, maybe you cold show something like the "gondola" control stations from DS9- that is to say, an extention from the nacelle pylon with a window- and, once you're at that detail stage, some red warning pinstripes detailing where the nacelle would eject in an emergency.

Hmm...maybe a full set of RCS on each nacelle to manuver it away from the ship in such an emergency?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Made a few changes.
 -  -

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reminded of the old "Timeship Lynx" for which I've always had a perverse fondness. Nice.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Nacelle update!
 -  -

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Cool-er!
Just lose those green dome thingers and we're all set!
The green gives it a sora Christmas-like quality that is just too bright and cheery.

I like the clear blue part- maybe add some ribbing to that area though...or some thin white struts- just to give the blue area a "solid" look.

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Made some changes to the nacelles. Black grills now cover the power chambers. Bussard domes are fleshed out more in line with the original concept sketches.

-  -

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet, this has come across real nicely. Kinda reminds me of Masao's Wasp Class.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Now we're talkin!

That is looking great- it just needs some hull panels (maybe a deflector grid on the sphere) and some Starfleet markings, an exterior hatch or three and it's a masterpiece. [Wink]

Hmmm....maybe some Connie markings here and there as well- that red rectangle that denotes the cargo bay hatch for example.

Love those naelles- a great look.

I think only the saucer (and maybe the shuttlebay) need additional details...though you were going to add some deflector dish thingers on there, IIRC.

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Thanks. I seem to be pretty good with nacelles. Next I intend to detail the struts and put windows and hatches on the nacelle to denote the control bay. Some of the details are rough right now.
Makotokat
Member # 1041

Detail on the strts is coming along nicely
 -

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.