Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Type-7 shuttle, info request (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Type-7 shuttle, info request
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, in looking again to see if there was a free solution for going from .lwo to anywhere else, I found Blender, which supposedly has scripts available allowing for volume calc (but I'll be damned if I could make 'em work in one sitting).

While I found Blender's unique UI rather daunting, I managed to muddle through an export to .3ds and an import to SketchUp. I had to recolor the Bussard collector ends (the tips went gray), but beyond that she's a pretty ship in SketchUp (once I rescaled her to be larger than a man's toe).

At 8.5 meters, I came up with a volume of 59 cubic meters at 10% accuracy (some part of the model at about 20% of the volume calc really slows the thing up, so I didn't use the usual 5% accuracy).

I'll try to make the .3ds and .skp files available to you shortly.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My plugin in Lightwave shows a volume of 61.1 cubic meters for the whole ship, nacelles included.

Thinking about it, I should find a way to convert my models to .skp files as it's pretty much the most popular new tool around. I can export to .3ds and .dxf with no surfacing data, but that's about it.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I noticed (which you probably already knew) that the Type-7 width is seriously misreported in the TNG tech manual. According to DITL, the width given is 3.6 meters, which is about half what it should be.

As for SketchUp, it's something for 3-D dilettantes like me to play with, but you can't really render scenes or do anything especially cool with it ... ships won't even light up, I don't think. I mean, if you wanna export to it that's cool (you'd be a hero, since there are only a couple of other folks putting up nice Trek models on the SketchUp 3-D Warehouse), but it's very very basic stuff.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen quite a few nice renders with it, there's a number of third-party render engines designed for it now. They seemed to have illumination and so forth, I assumed they were ubiquitous now as all the renders I see seem to be using them.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

Ahh, there are plug-ins and such . . . very nice.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

I think most people are using something called Kerkythea to do their renders, but there are now quite a few packages that will render sketchup. Unfortunately, i think most of them require cash.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps