Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Klingon ship WIP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Klingon ship WIP
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, was asked by a couple of people to try and come up with some Klingon models for my site. There's no end of Federation models for people to download, but when it comes to rendering battles there's very few klingon ships for them to fight (STO anyone?)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2751/4381849226_dc06bc306b_o.jpg

This is a work in progress shot of something I came up with during some spare time at work. It's just a blocked-in doodle at the moment, many of the sections will be remade before actual detailing would take place. This is meant to give me an idea of the overall shape and look of the thing while I work on it.

I'm thinking this is a relatively small ship, I'll probably just have the flat area above the torp tube on the head as a single deck in depth. This would probably be the smallest ship to use this particular wing/neck/head configuration. Anyway, just thought you'd be interested to see it, it's kinda quiet around here right now.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a bad start. If it's close to Bird of Prey size then it might be an idea to mix in some BoP detailing in with the battle cruiser structure. For instance, try rounding those aft, dorsal structures and give it a similar look to the BoP's radiator thingies.
Perhaps a couple of large mounted cannon emplacements would be in order too. Maybe under-slung, maybe built into the nacelle tips?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read my mind. I experimented with a BoP head on the thing, but it just looked silly. The big protrusions on the top are going to be diced up to look a bit like the BoP radiators, or I'll be adding similar BoP style bits below them, linking the wing and the protrusions. Weapons emplacements are probably going to be underslung on the middle section of the wings. I need to come up with a more interesting nacelle design I think, possibly with weapons on the front end.

Here's a slightly more atmospheric render...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4379527034_9f8a873f35_o.jpg

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/...4df89887_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2746/...13e0b40d_o.jpg

Todays update, bridge structure improved and new nacelles built. Still pretty basic at this stage, just slowly adding detail and altering to suit the plan. This is going to be somewhere between a BoP and a D7 in terms of size and capability, so will share elements of both.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry but you latest screencaps aren't working, but what I've seen so far I do like. Nice transition between the D-5 from Enteprise and the D-7 from TOS. Could it be the coveted D-6 [Wink]
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Bugger, something contracted them. Try these...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4384507793_b74df89887_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2746/4384507787_0013e0b40d_o.jpg

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good, although IMO the latest nacelles are looking a tad Eaves-ish. Which would be okay for an update of an old design, but not what I'd expect to see on a potential D-6...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

I didn't mention D6. No sir. I was just asked to create some Klingon original designs for people to use in their pictures and animations. My idea was for this to be the smallest of this shape of battlecruiser, the first step up from the smaller BoP classes. I therefore wanted it to be a bit sleeker than bigger versions, hence the reworked nacelles.

They're similar to the latest Eaves design, but not a direct copy and I'll be adding more bumps and lumps to their exterior as well. I may write them off and go with something chunkier, it's all a bit nebulous right now. As I refine the body area I'll get a better idea of how the nacelles will finally look.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you didn't mention D-6, but it was suggested as a name for it. [Wink] If you want to make it that old, older nacelles would be more fitting...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
Bugger, something contracted them. Try these...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4384507793_b74df89887_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2746/4384507787_0013e0b40d_o.jpg

I kind of miss the old bisected nacelles, but these work just as well.
I'm not sure squashing the ventral "head bulge" quite works though. Crazy idea, but if you're going for more streamlined then try and see what it looks like if you spin the lower section of the head 180 so the apex of the egg shape points forward rather than back and have the torpedo cut-in, up as close to the upper flat piece as possible.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

What you get then is something that looks like a BoP head, I tried it. I thought about a BoP head on a D7 body, but then it starts to look like those horrendous kitbash drawings that show up all the time.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it so far- looks like a Klingon Chamdley class.
Dont make those large structures into anything KBOP-looking- instead, give them large hangar doors for deploying assualt ships.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it so far- looks like a Klingon Chamdley class.
Dont make those large structures into anything KBOP-looking- instead, give them large hangar doors for deploying assualt ships.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, it's a Vor'cha with a D2 head.

The head is a bit big. If I were you I would experiment with making the head different sizes smaller. If the head would be 2/5ths of the size it is now, it would make the engineering section look imposing and powerful. With the size it is now, and those oversized radiators, it looks like a Chibi-D2.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Actually the Vor'cha or perhaps the Neg'var might be a better source in inspiration than the BoP. If you slid the bridge structure back towards the neck and elongated the flat piece, crafting it into a large weapons array then you might avoid it looking too close to a D-7/BoP kludge.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps