Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Klingon ship WIP (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Klingon ship WIP
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, this one is starting to hurt. Trying to do something with the body pissed me off, so I made a new one much more closely matching the D7 original. I am going to try putting a bit more stuff on top and bottom though, to see how it looks. If that fails I'll maybe switch to Vor'cha style.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Switch to Teriyaki Style.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4398055481_6852eae357_o.jpg

Teriyaki style it is! Here's another attempt, this time with a more contemporary design for the body. Still not sure about this, looks a little heavy when viewed from above, but I think it's progress.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those ventral parallel engine blocks are nice, they have a Negh'vary feel.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good! Starting to get a little shorter and wider?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I like it. It's got a good TOS feel with a bit of extra greebling, but not over Eavesy.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Looks good! Starting to get a little shorter and wider?

Actually it's slightly narrower and the same length, but thicker looking and with a longer wing section. I'll have to play around with the proportions a bit to get it better looking.

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lookin' good. Really like the detail to the aft the nacelle. Very nice.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried doodling with the large empty spaces of the wings? Perhaps make one triangular slit or two parallel slits/holes through each wing, as an experiment?
Or if not empty holes, perhaps Banshee/Akira-style supercharger domes or some other nefarious equipment to break up the smoothness.
Also, here's an idea; corrugate the main surface of the wings, like a washboard, or the solar panels of a TIE Fighter. It could be a new kind of panel for aiding cloaking or somesuch.
[/brainstorm.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets wait until he's cracked the basic shape of the thing before we get all excited about the detailing.

Not sure how to describe this, but it might look better if the central "wing" piece tapered back at a steeper angle, perhaps ending up flush with the impulse block?

Also, crazy idea but I wonder what it would look like if the wings could swing up like a BoP's? If it's on the small side it should be feasible for it to land and the extra functionality might help to divorce it a little from the D-7/K'Tinga.

Of course once you've finished this, you're going to need a Romulan ship to blow up. [Wink]

[edit] Actually, if I can dig up the files for this old thing I may have to steal your original nacelle design. I think they'd suit quite nicely.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Yeah, the Romulan could be a go-er. I'm rather bored of knocking out Federation stuff, as apparently is everyone else. People seem to want to get some baddies for the Feds to fight in their RPGs, animations and fan fictions.

Rev's right, simple detailing on the surfaces is the last thing we worry about, but the holes and cut-outs is something to think about. I cant hinge the wings easily due to the angle of the joint between body and wing. If I fold them along that natural line they will hinge backwards and up, looking rather unaerodynamic. I'll have a look at ways to do it though.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, I remember that Romulan ship. I've loved ever since I first saw it. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
Member # 205

Axeman: About the corrugation, it wasn't necessarily texture I meant but actual furrowed surface in the wing itself. But regardless, I'm not sure I will be around a computer in the coming weeks, so I throw stuff out there while there's still time, food for thought for later or whatever.

Could be good to have streaks of both the D7 and Vorcha in the same package. The pointy "shoulders" of the current model are very nice, maybe couple it with that beefier neckbase of the Vorcha-model, which gave it sturdiness in the midsection.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps