Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Foundations' Resolve

Author Topic: Foundations' Resolve
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I devoured Asimov's Foundation series when I first saw it, again from the library, and then again after I bought them all, including the two good Second Trilogy books. I was upset by the lack of resolution after Foundation and Earth, even after five prequels. I think it's been eight years or so since I originally sat down and started to think what a sequel would look like, what shape it would need to take to flow dramatically and not add any new elements to an already complex universe. From there it became a minor obsession to find ways to bring the various characters and forces to a dramatically satisfying conclusion. One night I wrote a simple scene with two characters walking down a hallway, discussing the situation, and it exploded from there.

Last year, I finally finished. I've never written fiction before, of any kind. But I wrote this, and I honestly think it's pretty good. There's no hope of it being published, for a lot of reasons. It's 56k words, making it on the extreme low end of "novel". It's a sequel to a well-known series, and I'm a literary nobody. And however good it may be, I don't imagine to compare myself to Asimov, Bear, or Brin. But I definitely think it's good enough to share.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5810546/1/Foundations_Resolve

I hope you enjoy, and do please let me know any feedback you might have!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never did get around to finishing the Foundation series... but I'm glad to see you finished your project! [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently read Modessit's The Sopranno Sorceress. took me forever to even read it (but i love his Sci-Fi books) but once i started, it took me a month of lunchhours in the 1st class mess to finish. looking forward to getting the others...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega...I liked that story very much. I noticed a few spelling errors and formatting errors that, at times, made if a little difficult to follow, but I really enjoyed this piece of fiction.

I enjoyed it so much, I demand you to continue and write more! [Smile]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spelling and formatting errors!? WHERE!?!?!?

Oh, and thanks for the kind feedback. [Big Grin]

--------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Spelling and formatting errors!? WHERE!?!?!?

Without page references I cannot give anything further... [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
[QB]Oh, and thanks for the kind feedback. [Big Grin]

Welcome, let me know if you would like anythinng more specific. [Smile]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Omega
Member # 91

Apologies for bumping my own thread, but... I just have to brag. Someone involved in publishing the most recent Foundation books found my story online. This individual said it was so good he was no longer waiting for any new Foundation novels. He then sent it to Isaac Asimov's daughter to suggest it should be published.

Oh yes.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations and good luck.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing good ever happens on the intraweb, save religious/political fuckitry & migdet fisting...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Pensive, that's EXACTLY what the Foundation series IS!

Congrats Omega - hope that it means you'll be published somewhere, sometime. A coda to this series, which is basically what you've written, would be great to finish this thing off. ONLY then will Patrick Stewart be able to do a one-man-show of the whole damn thing.

Mark

Omega
Member # 91

...that would be fantastic.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps