Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » First 3D print of one of my models (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First 3D print of one of my models
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, a few weeks ago I decided to try out the 3D printing process at www.shapeways.com and make one of my 3D models into a real, physical model. I spent some time building my USS Kilimanjaro model from scratch, this time in a manor which would allow it to be converted to a .stl model format for the 3D printing machine. It's quite different to modelling for animation or images, so it took me a bit of getting used to.

Anyway I made the model, uploaded it in a variety of sizes and chose a middling size in a material they were actually phasing out. It is called 'Alumide', and is supposed to look somewhat metallic. It doesn't really, it's more like grey primer with glitter through it, but what the hell. They say 10 days for your order to arrive world-wide, but after it was printed they posted it UPS and it made its way from the Nederlands to Germany to the central belt of Scotland in around 24 hours. Most impressive. Anyway, here's the pics...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2690/4458260830_1d1b24bce3_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4458260986_27ff4cbf24_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2755/4458261142_a202fbae82_o.jpg

Apologies for the quality, I had to use my webcam as my DSLR is on loan to a friend for baby pictures and my iPhone cable is at work. You'll also have to deal with my ugly face, but we're all men here, right?

Anyway, on to first impressions. Small. This stuff is relatively expensive to produce so I didn't go for a big model on the first try. What you see cost me $35, or about £22 in real money, and that's with the saucer and secondary hull hollowed out somewhat to save money. Also the alumide doesn't show the detail well, and most of the finer detail is lost in the model. For small, detailed objects you're better to use their 'white detailed' material, but that costs nearly 3 times more than Alumide or their basic 'strong, white, flexible' material. I would rather spend to make the model a good deal larger so the detail showed up in the basic material than spend the same on small with the detailed stuff.

The material I got feels like ceramic, when you put it down on a table it sounds like a china cup. It's probably too brittle for my sausage hands, so I'll be choosing the strong white flexible stuff next time to avoid any tears. I'll also be modeling a stand onto the thing tomorrow, so anyone else ordering it will have it upright without difficulty.

Will I be using the service again? Hell yes! I cant stop playing with the thing, and have plans for other stuff I want to make. I've just made a set of custom guitar volume and tone knobs which I'm ordering now, and I've more sci-fi stuff I want to play with. It's expensive, yes, but for a one-off custom model to your own design? One day I hope to have a little line up of my own designs on the top of my TV unit which I can show off.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome. Much better quality than the Rep-rap stuff I'm seeing online. Maybe one day those of us who want them will have cheap 3-D printers on our desks.

Mmm . . . politician heads. It'll be the new voodoo. [Wink]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's certainly one use for them, evil homunculus all over the place!

This model is not particularly detailed, my next one will make use of this new found experience and should be a good deal better. The material didn't support fine detail and looks a little odd and not suited to painting. The next will be a lot larger because I now know how thin a wall I can get away with, and I'll be using a different, stronger and more flexible material.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After seeing that third pic I couldn't help thinking of Apollo and TOS.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice- 2500th scale prehaps?
For this type of work, it's best to only make things not readily available- I could have slapped together those parts for you easy enough. [Wink]

Hmmm....might be nice to make FASA mods for the new 1:100th styrene Connie Refit kit- stuff like the Chandley or Andor would be big sellers.

Though if you really wnat to impress me, have the cardassian weapons platform "printed" as a kit in several pieces- then yo can easily get someone to make molds and cast it in polyurethane resin (far better than that brittle stuff for models).

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

I only made that model because it was the most recent I'd made and therefore the quickest to convert, and because the guy who designed it wants a model of it for himself. I wanted to see what the Alumide material looked like, but it's not what I thought and too brittle to be of any use.

With the knowledge gleaned from this excersize I plan to make one of my own designs, probably the USS Vigilant for starters. I want to try and get it as large as I can without breaking the $50 barrier, and if made in their strong white material it will have greatly improved detail and strength. It could even be painted up if I felt the need.

As for making customization parts for other models, it's certainly one use for the system. Make your prototype and test it, then make your own moulds and off you go. Cardassian Weapons Platform?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should try another company, frankly.
I'll ask around at SSM and see who has a good reputation and high quality.

Really, what you get should be good enough to just primer, paint and decal as your own "one off" model kit.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really, really cool, Axeman. When you get your DSLR back I'd be very curious to see some closeups to see what you're talking about with the details. Also keenly interested to learn how the other materials turn out. Really cool stuff.

(Did the guy you made this for get his? Is he over the moon?)

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

I'm gettin my DSLR back soon, then I'll do some close up comparisons. I'm going to make some tweaks and order in a different material to see how it comes out. My tests showed that I cant make a really good sized model without bursting the bank, or maybe doing it in pieces in installments.

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh cool. Yes, I'd be very curious to see what else you come up with. Was a bit surprised that you had this one assembled (and upright no less!) instead of in pieces. Very much looking forward to seeing more picks. Would also love to hear about your process of converting your models for this process...
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

I'll get more done, but it will have to wait till I have a bit of spare cash lying around. I did the first model all in one piece because of it's size, there's no real danger of it breaking under its own weight when it's so small. I do wish I'd modeled a stand onto it though.

When making models for printing you have to make sure they're completely watertight meshes and have no mesh errors of any kind. As well as fixing all the mesh problems I made sure I exaggerated some of the fine detail and hollowed out as much of the structure as I could without having the walls too thin.

Once it's done I have to scale it exactly to the size I want, then run a conversion plugin that makes it into an .STL file for printing. Scale is odd as the .STL file format has no scale defined in it. I have to assume 1m = 1mm on the physical model, and select that scale when I upload it. Then you wait a week and voila!

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Orbital. weapons. Platform.
You'll be a hero to modelers everywhere if you make one in 2500th scale.
I now of a few people that would buy a master of that design. [Wink]

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monac Shipyards anyone?
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Orbital Weapons Platform? I dont know that one, you got any drawings and I'll see what I can do?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Right from the horse's mouth...er...harddrive.
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/cardassian-orbital-weapons-platform/

They'd be pretty small in 2500th scale- only about 3" across at a guess.
Which means "not too expensive to print. [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps