Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Losing My Virginity in 3-D

Author Topic: Losing My Virginity in 3-D
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not like that, you sicko.

So there was this new Star Wars ship in an episode of The Clone Wars the other day, a Republic Stealth ship prototype with a cloaking device. And I wanted its volume. That's all I've been using SketchUp for anyway, basically.

Well, I got impatient, and started playing, and after a few hours I'd built the damn ship.

My first scratch-built model in SketchUp or any other 3-D program.

(Sort of, anyway . . . I ended up using the cockpit bubble from that low-poly NX Class Shuttlepod from Bridge Commander, but since I'd had to completely re-do that bubble along with the whole front end anyway, I'm calling this a scratch-build.)

And it sucks, naturally. But all in all, it's not too bad.

-
 -
 -

I have a vague idea of what I'm doing, but yeah, not great. Not bad for never cracking a manual, though.

But at least I got the damn volume, or at least something like it . . . 3,900 cubic meters.

That's in the neighborhood . . . my engine area is too short, so I'm missing some, but I also overdid the torpedo launcher area, and maybe the cockpit height . . . but then again, my taper from the cockpit backward is too short, so I'm missing some there, too. The middle tube section is also just a guess (that says 5.56 meters, by the way, not 5.9). So . . . yeah, I dunno. It's in the neighborhood.

I'm gonna call it within 10% and say STFU if someone complains. [Wink]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SO..does the Cloaking Device in SW render the ship invisible to the eye or just electronics and such?

It'd be great if people could see it but not ships or droids.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, it's basically Star Trek IV's Klingon cloak again. But given that they've used sensor jammers that kept them hidden from the enemy while a kilometer or two away in plain sight, the good idea you had of how SW cloaks should work was already used.

Ooh, dammit. I should've built a model of it cloaked. [Wink]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps