Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Admiring the Bridges of Tadeo D'Oria

Author Topic: Admiring the Bridges of Tadeo D'Oria
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep circling back lately to the Tadeo D'Oria site with his amazingly good-looking, damn-near-if-not photorealistic Trek interiors.

https://tadeodoria.com/

Many of his designs are just fantastic, though some of the stuff he's been asked to make is fairly hideous. All of it, however, is inspiring of various and sundry thoughts on bridge and console design. Unmanned and with no action afoot, one can stop and appreciate (or critique) the form and function of various designs.

For one, it's remarkable that, other than the Enterprise-D's little areas beside the XO and third center chair, the Excelsior with its Captain's Knee-Breaker and the tables in the rear of the Enterprise NX-01 and Defiant are the only bridges that seem to have any flat surface available. To be sure, this can keep the bridge neat and tidy, but my mind keeps returning to Rand bringing Kirk and crew some phasered coffee and man, where the hell can they put it? There's not cupholder one on these things, which is interesting from a design philosophy perspective.

More later.

--------------------
G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that his work has really brought out in me is a very strong set of opinions regarding what I like and hate regarding bridges and consoles.

For instance, the TNG console style as seen with the helm, ops, transporter room console, et cetera, is approximately my favorite thing ever, despite the seeming volumetric inefficiency. I mean, you just know they probably don't need anything more than a tablet/PADD-esque flat panel for the controls, yet we have this oddly awesome thing.

I like it so much it even overwhelms my loathing of the "helm pit" design that we first saw with the Prometheus in Voyager. Yes, having the helmsman's head in the way is bound to be annoying from the center seat, but that design bugs the crap out of me anyway . . . except for the one time it is done to absolute perfection on his USS Buenos Aires, using TNG-approved components:

https://tadeodoria.com/projects/aRaDa9?album_id=68213

Compare that with the bulky, obnoxious helm pit console on his USS Cerberus, based on the Prometheus set:

https://tadeodoria.com/projects/aRPZzX?album_id=68213

Ew.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

(Also, Federation OSHA needs to come down hard on steps generally, and especially random single-steps in random spots that seem designed to produce a trip hazard. Again, this is a canon issue that he's faithfully replicating, not a Tadeo problem.

If Admiral Jameson and his chair cannot maneuver on your bridge, you're doing something wrong.)

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.