Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Klingon Smileys...

Author Topic: Klingon Smileys...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been drafted as the moderator for the 2-D artwork section of the International Klingon Empire Forums. One of my first assignments was to come up with some Klingon Smileys.

Just so you don't have to go there unless you want, here they are.

Blushing Klingon

Frowning Klingon

Grinning Klingon

Growling Klingon

Laughing Klingon

Klingon Razzberry

Smirking Klingon

Winking Klingon

--Baloo

------------------
"Some students try to hold the Rock up, instead of letting the Rock hold them up"
--Anonymous divinity professor
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL*

*notices that the Klingon Forum has separate forums for ship tech and other tech, but only with one entry each*

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL* Those are quite the nifty little guys.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... They don't quite look right w/o hair. And I think you can only use yellow for a circular smiley or a Simpson. :-)

------------------
"I think you people have proven something to the world: that a half a million kids can get together and have three days of fun and music� and have nothing but fun and music."
-Max Yasgur; Woodstock, NY; August, 1969

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: What? Is this some sort of law? Will the icon police come and arrest me? They'll take my yellow smileys from me only by prying them from my cold, dead computer!

--Baloo

------------------
If you speak and no-one listens, it still counts as long as YOU have learned something.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yellow smileys always make me think of jaundice. The Simpson's probably all have liver disease too. And I'm too politically (and too Japanese-American) to mention any racial overtones.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

So what's a good alternative? Fleshtones seem too realistic for such a cartoony-looking character (and besides, no matter which which fleshtone I choose it would have racial overtones of one sort or another).

They're yellow in the first place because the first "smiley-face" was yellow and black, and I was just keeping to the original color scheme.

I hadn't thought that yellow might be perceived as racist. Of course, other colors might imply unintended meanings as well.

Yellow = Asian, Jaundiced, Simpsons.

Red = Communist, Bleeding, Stopsigns, (possibly) Native Americans.

Orange = Florida Fruit Growers

Green = Ecological Activists, Nature, Motion sick.

Blue = Depression, Winter.

Purple = Tinky-Winky (the "Gay" Teletubbie ).

Brown = Scat (use a dictionary), Persons of African Extraction.

Black = Evil thingies (not to mention difficult to see against a dark background).

White = Nurses, the Medical Profession, White Supremacy.

This bothers me. Now I think of it, I can't think of any color in the natural spectrum that someone couldn't contrive offense at. Can someone email me the hex code for an unnaturally occuring color?

--Baloo

------------------
If you speak and no-one listens, it still counts as long as YOU have learned something.

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited October 30, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really now.

Anybody who would find themselves greviously offended at the color of a %@$&*ing SMILEY FACE needs intensive psychological counseling.

*INSENSITIVITY! INSENSITIVITY!*

Wha?

*Fo2 is hauled away by the Politically Correct Daleks of Regulon IV*

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Hey! What's the hex code for octarine? Of course, only wizards could see it then.

------------------
If this is the future, then where are all the flying cars?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make them a sort of light brown color. Then they would look like Klingons, plus no-one could call them racist, because no-one could prove whether they were black, or white w/ a tan. :-)

------------------
"I think you people have proven something to the world: that a half a million kids can get together and have three days of fun and music� and have nothing but fun and music."
-Max Yasgur; Woodstock, NY; August, 1969

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry. I wasn't offended. I doubt that anyone is. It was meant in jest. But yellow does remind me of jaundice.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

*L*

As well it should. Let that be a lesson to us all.

------------------
If this is the future, then where are all the flying cars?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.