Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Eb jerata cro horx! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Eb jerata cro horx!
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grui

This is for Distant Horizon. Right now, I'm just working on the grammar...there's not a whole lot of vocabulary, but more will be added as it's needed.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited February 07, 2000).]

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! I'm impressed!

------------------
Navigator-"Heading, Sir?"
Kirk-"Out there...somewhere...out thatta-way."--Star Trek: TMP

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Now, the challege is for someone to create a full sentence...it's probably necessary to have a knowledge of grammar terms, though, until I write some sort of instruction guide.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fui jreft kridegbi 'more'. I doubt that makes any sense.

You should create a Java translator or something. That'd be neat.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

*screams as he notices a k in a Grui word!*

That should be cridegbi now.

And "fui jreft cridegbi" means "you have traveling."

I'll create a translator after I create the language itself.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I wanted to say 'You have to get out more', but More, and 'to get out' weren't there.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Ah...I'll add some of that, including the imperative form of verbs.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited February 07, 2000).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does this grammatic richness remind me of my Latin lessons? Don't get me wrong, I actually love Latin.

An impressive list. I just imagine Frank doing pronounciation practice in front of a mirror.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

This should be pretty easy to pronounce, actually, assuming you remember the x and q pronounciations.

The noun cases are most commonly talked about in Latin, although they refer to grammatical constucts in all languages. For example, take this sentence:

"I gave him the starship."

Here, "I" is nominative (it's the subject), "him" is dative (it's the indirect object), and "the starship" is accusative (because it's the direct object, but, of course, there's no way to tell in English). Here's another way to say this in English:

"I gave the starship to him."

Technically, there's no longer any indirect object, but in Grui, you can switch the word order around a bit without losing meaning or emphasis.

Here's another sentence:

"I bought him a starship."

"Him" is also dative here. Again, you could switch this around to "I bought a starship for him," losing the dative pronoun, but in Grui you wouldn't need to do that. Actually, this is how it works in German. "Ich habe ihm ein Sternschiff gekauft" means (assuming I got it right) either "I bought him a starship" or "I bought a starship for him." You could even switch it around (again, assuming I'm doing this properly) to "Ihm habe ich ein Sternschiff gekauft," placing the emphasis on a different word (like "For him I bought a starship" in English), without having to add a preposition or anything.

This concludes today's spontaneous grammar lesson.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I just figured I'd mention that I've changed some things around a bit in the language, and added more grammatical constructions and more vocabulary. In addition, the two are now on separate pages; hopefully this should make things slightly easier.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This song is dedicated to everyone in the audience tonight...WITH ONE EYE!" - John Linnell

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... In your German example above, I think the word for "starship" should be "Raumschiff". As in Raumschiff Enterprise, the German name for Trek (or at least for TNG, I'm not certain).

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It tis Raumschiff Enterprise (knew those 3 and a half years of German might come in handy). My 3rd year German Book had a picture of the Enterprise-D and below it was a description of the TV Show. Raumschiff Enterprise was the title.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

OK...I'd edit my original post, although then your statements wouldn't make sense, so I'll keep it the way it is.

Anyway, back to Grui...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This song is dedicated to everyone in the audience tonight...WITH ONE EYE!" - John Linnell

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
359: Is that the one that showed a section out of a German television listings? It had a description of (IIRC) the episode "Where Silence Has Lease"? If so, I think I had the same book... :-)

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was from a TV Listing. I don't have the book anymore, though.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps