Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Impuls blocked?

Author Topic: Impuls blocked?
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working on my first serious cut'n'paste ship, but I have a small problem. In the aft view the impuls engines are 'blocked' by the nacelle-struts. Is this possible or do the impuls engines have to have a 'clean' aft view (like the buzzard (sp?) collectors have a 'clean' front view.)??

------------------
"Isn't Y2K year 2048?? I mean last time I checked 1K was 1024.
Now that Y1.953125K, that's where the real problem lies..."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably cuts back on efficency, but I don't think it's impossible...

------------------
"Why don't you go out and cross the boulevard while the lights are against you?"
-Groucho Marx to Chico Marx, Animal Crackers

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It hasn't been done before. I don't think it would work unless they were angled outwards.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if I make variable geometry nacelle-struts (like Voyager) where the impuls-engines aren't blocked in 'impuls-mode' but are blocked in 'warp-mode'??

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The three-nacelled AGT Enterprise-D has the central impulse exhaust almost completely blocked by the additional pylon, and this is one reason why I don't like it. Apart from the efficiency problem, hot plasma is exhausted, and no engineer would put a pylon in its way.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didn't have a central impulse engine.

------------------

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course it did. At the base of the neck. . .
Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Federation Shipmaster is right about the impulse engines. If you look at the E-D, the saucer engines are operating, and I didn't see the main impulse engine lit.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen/trekships/galaxy/agt-ent-top.jpg

It is possible that the additional "box" is not supposed to be an impulse engine. I had probably some artwork in mind where the neck was unchanged.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Actually it had 2 impuls engines in the neck. (I checked 'All Good Things...'.) In the aft view the third pylon is right in between the impuls engines.

The Ent-B/Lakota on the other hand has the extra impuls engines partially blocked by the warp nacelles.

BTW: I didn't get an awnser to my last question.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shouldn't think it would matter if they're blocked during warp flight. Turning on the impulse engines at warp will do, um, jack-****. :-)

------------------
"I see you've found your Nausicaan friend. You seem unimpaled so far..."
-Q to Picard, "Tapestry"

Antagonist
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Werll, according to the theory of movement and propulsion, you must have a clear path out the back of a spacecraft to make it go forward. If that path is blocked, then the reaction matter (in this case the hot plasma) will hit the ship, thus counteracting the propulsive effect. At the least, it would be inefficient. And they are "Bussard" collectors, not the "Buzzard" collectors.

Variable warp-geometry designs aren't only for moving the nacelles pylons for the impulse engines, of course, and I assume you know that.

I suggest relocating them completely. I would have to see a diagram of your ship to suggest a better place.

------------------
GET THE MONEY!

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Yes, I know what the variable geometry nacelles are for.
As for my kitbash project, I dropped this idea completely, because I could not find a solution that looks good.
I'm now working on kitbashing a ship that I think has never been kitbashed by anyone.

BTW: I'm offline until monday. Maybe then I am finished with my new project.

------------------

[This message was edited by Altair on May 12, 1999.]

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

You can't be serious....the Excelsior-kitbash?

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

It's online now.
I called it the Twilight class.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.