Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Pre-Oberth research cruiser.

Author Topic: Pre-Oberth research cruiser.
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

DaVinci class research frigate

The above vessel was designed to follow behind the Jupiter class heavy cruiser and perform detailed studies of the systems mapped by it. This freed the heavy cruiser to move along to the next system, sped the mapping of Federation space, and allowed faster identification of systems suitable for colonization.

Clicking on either link opens a new window.

--Baloo

------------------
"Going to church does not make you a Christian anymore than going to McDonalds's makes you a hamburger."
--[Source unknown.]
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good hull proportions. Maybe I should steal the idea

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is my favorite of your speculations, Baloo. Very nice looking pre-TOS/overlap into TOS era ship. I especially like the aft shuttlebay; nicely reverse-engineered from the Mirandas.

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's partly a kitbash. The saucer rim, upper dome, bridge module, and shuttlebay doors came from the Cargile class destroyer and Sands class light exploration cruiser designs I did a little while ago (Externally, they are identical, but they have different capabilities and missions). I eliminated the secondary hull and changed the nacelles, then decided that the under-saucer structure needed to be "bulged" a little for additional room. The Hawkeye I did was a derivative of this one as well.

--Baloo

------------------
"Helping Tomorrow Feel Superior by Scoffing at Yesterday."
--James Lileks [Motto of The Institute of Official Cheer.]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*O_o* That description for the ship sounds a lot like my description for the Whitehorse, Baloo

------------------
"Yes. I have seventeen brains! And eleven legs. And a pecan."
-Frank Gerratana, March 3, 2000

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Read the description. It's from an earlier era and its much smaller. The White Horse is heavier-armed and can (probably) run circles around this vessel.

I forget. Was the White Horse a research vessel or an explorer?

--Baloo

------------------
"Helping Tomorrow Feel Superior by Scoffing at Yesterday."
--James Lileks [Motto of The Institute of Official Cheer.]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.