Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Here's Lookin' At You, Baloo!

Author Topic: Here's Lookin' At You, Baloo!
Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... Baloo wished for a Binghampton-class ship, and so I made one one... it's located here.
The other ship, the USS Dawn Falcon, is based on a design I saw on the web. If anyone knows who made the original kitbashed model, please email me and I will add credit and a link.

------------------

** Edited to make link work! **

[This message has been edited by Starbuck (edited March 08, 2000).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if you're familiar with the show, the quote on the commissioning plaque should be something along the lines of "One of these days, McHale, you're going to slip up, and when you do I want to be there to I can say 'I told you so'!"

Joe Flynn played Admiral Binghampton on the "McHale's Navy" TV series. He always played an anal-retentive type that had it in for the protagonist. In the series, he was a reservist called to active duty and was more concerned with advancing his career in the Navy than with winning the war. He hated McHale because McHale worked outside the system (they were constantly trying to get extra money to start a business after the war, and were hiding a Japanese deserter so he didn't have to go to a POW camp.

Nice ship, though. One thing I don't like about kitbashes -- You never get to see any view besides the side view.

--Baloo

------------------
"Helping Tomorrow Feel Superior by Scoffing at Yesterday."
--James Lileks [Motto of The Institute of Official Cheer.]
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited March 08, 2000).]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Dawn Falcon is a fanfic Peregrine class frigate. Peregrine was obviously used before the name was officially used as an attack fighter/maquis ship. I'm at a computer lab right now, so I can't tell you who made it first. I'll look it up when I get home.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited March 08, 2000).]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay Starbuck, your USS Dawn Falcon was first made by John Payne. His site is at: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/9640/trekpage.html

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Starbuck
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Dawn Falcon now has a link to John Payne's page - thanks PopMaze!
As for McHale's Navy... like I said, the only version I've seen is the movie (which was on cable at 3am, and stars Tom Arnold as McHale, an ex-Navy entrepreneur who sells all manne of things - from McHale's Pale Ale to ice cream - to the local Navy base) but I think the series sounds like a seagoing Phil Silvers Show... imagine Sgt. Bilko on a submarine!
Actually if Bilko and McHale ever got together, the US military would probably crumble...
Both the Binghampton and the McHale will probably get new commissioning plaque quotes soon; based on the quote Baloo posted I may even swap the names. If anyone has any suggestions for quotes, send them to the usual address!

I know about the profile-only thing and I'm *trying* to render some of my kitbashes as blueprints. I don't know much about graphics software, but I'm learning!
I hope in a few weeks each of the ship graphics will end up as a link to a write-up like Baloo does, with some line-art blueprints.
And of course, if wishes were horses...

Thanks for all the help and encouragement so far. If anyone else has any other ideas, please let me know!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Starbuck (edited March 09, 2000).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps