Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Leelenau Class

Author Topic: Leelenau Class
Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
My Stuff!

[This message has been edited by Sunspot (edited March 11, 2000).]

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Leelenau class is pretty much meant for the same job as the Galaxy, only much, much smaller. She's got 5 habitable decks, four phaser arrays, and two torpedo launchers. When the class was first introduced, the crew was seperated into groups of five to a room to save interior space for equipment and the shuttle hold. After a major breakthrough in miniturization of the computer cores, sensor arrays, deflector dish, and phasers, the interiors of subsequent ships were modified to allow each crewmember to have their own quarters.

The holographic crewpersons are meant to be 'substitute teachers/principles', guiding the younger officers in the event that the Chief Engineer, CMO, Captain, Tactical Officer, etc. are predisposed or injured in the line of duty. There are seven main types of holocrewmen: Security, Tactical, Operations, Medical, Command, Engineering, and Navigation. The more holograms that are running, the slower the response time of the computer. So there are usually two or three running at once, when one is needed more than another, the less important one is deactivated and the other is activated. The personality subroutines haven't been brought up to current standards due to the fact that many of the ships with this technology are long-range explorers and are unable to remain in constant uplink with Earth.

That good enough?

------------------
My Stuff!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That'll cost a lot energy, I think

------------------
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." (If you want peace, prepare for war)
- Vegetius
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

The way I see it, if the Enterprise-E can run the EMH without full power from both the warp core and the main computer, then a fully operational ship should have no problems running scaled-down versions of of Holographic Crewmen...similar to running 98Lite on a Windows 98 machine to save disk space and such. The holos run off of existing manuals on how to do a certain job, the only other programming needed is the ability to recieve vocal commands from crewpersons, which the computer has been able to do since ST:II or III, IIRC; the ability to make written instructions a physical action, and to recognize crewmembers from their personnell records.

If a ship can run multiple holodecks, with complex environments and characters running inside, all at one time, why not run a few holographic crewmen that would take up the same or even less computer space and energy from reserves/EPS system? The advances being made to starship technology is steadily increasing...I have no trouble believing that this could work. Perhaps the holos even have their own dedicated reactor unit. Whatever the case, I think that it is feasible.

------------------
My Stuff!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm convinced

------------------
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." (If you want peace, prepare for war)
- Vegetius
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

What? Does it suck that much?

------------------
My Stuff!

xfozzboute
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that design. It looks cool. How about a view of the under side?

------------------
"According to my bird the only bad air around here is you guys farting around."
-Roy Neary

[This message has been edited by xfozzboute (edited March 14, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very similar to Queen Amidala's courier. B-but i-it's nice!!

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.
-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the description, the Leelenau sounds like a "flying classroom" well-suited for use by the Academy.

------------------
"Sometimes "dark" is just a way of saying you�ve nothing to add, only a new way to subtract."

--James Lileks
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps