Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » And I inquired of Him: How do I do perspective?

Author Topic: And I inquired of Him: How do I do perspective?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like some of you are able to draw ships in perspective views (*hints @ Masao*) using vector progs.
How in the Federation am I supposed to draw this way. Are there any tricks for it, or is it just intuition and artist skill?

------------------
If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

-Tool, "Opiate"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao has given some hints on this topic in a previous post (can't find it any more) - or did he tell just me?

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perspective drawing of starships is an absolute pain in the ass that I've done successfully only 5 times in my life. What you see in the museum is my total life's output. I found it very difficult and time-consuming and don't really plan to try it again for a while, if I can help it. You're probably better off buying a 3-D modelling program.

However, if you are really interested you should buy a book, which is how I learned. Don't get a book that just tells you that background trees are smaller than foreground trees. You need one that will teach you how to go from plans (top views) and elevations (side and front views) to perspective drawings. The book I used (don't have it here with me now) was aimed at artists rather than architects and managed to explain things in a fairly nontechnical manner. I'll dig it up and tell you the name later. But there are probably lots of other similar books.

Freehand 9 has a new perspective drawing tool that supposedly makes perspective drawing easier. I got a trial version from a CD-ROM, but I really haven't tried it out yet. It looks sort of complicated. It allows you to put plans and elevations on a perspective grid. After that you need to join up the lines and fill in the solids, I guess.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but it's a pretty complex technique.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the name of the book I used: John Montague. Basic Perspective Drawing: A Visual Approach. 2nd Ed. Van Norstrand Reinhold, NY, 1993.

When I mentioned using 3-D drawing programs to aid perspective drawing, what I meant is that you could use the 3-D program to get the basic shapes and major landmarks with a simple model. You could then use that simple model as the basis of your perspective drawing. I assume that its much easier than making a completely rendered model.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps