Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » "Say my name..." (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Say my name..."
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help me!

I need some names for starships. My inspiration is completely gone for the moment!

I'd like some alien-sounding names too.

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the USS Alyson Hannigan

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a ship I'd fuck..heh...

Harry: go here. The Oberth-class has an assload of "alien-sounding names" starting around the 35000s or so. Any class that has strange-ish names is usually a freighter, tanker, or transport; the Corona, Deneva, Sonoma, & Kings Bay classes would be like that.

All I ask is a little credit.

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How "alien" do you want? Any specific species?

N'Gusat'ahh
Grunnut
K'Plath
Zeddin Evain
Farhipti
Cantela
Voortoo
Abif
Boadicea
Pishtishi
Sardalia

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:::scribbles down names::: Fuck, those are great! And perfect for the Thomas Paines I'm working on now...

How d'ya wanna be credited?

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about credit as "Nomenclature Engineer"?

Oh, BTW, two of those are not alien names.

Boadicea (Or Boudikka) was a female celtic warrior queen who led a few successful campaigns against the Roman Legions.

Abif is an ancient Tyrian surname, meaning "his father," and is the surname of one Hiram Abif, major figure in the legendary history of Freemasonry. (No, I'm not revealing any great secret. You can find this out in any decent book about Freemasons in your local library.)

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Shik
Member # 343

I caught the Boadicea ref...didn't know about the others. And I actually meant "credited" as in "by name or alais"....

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want some alien sounding names!?!

USS Iiyalanna
USS Putall
USS Yry Qexa
USS Xex
USS Oltol
USS Axoctol
USS Rern
USS Fardh
USS Ldhyrr
USS Alralalra
USS Pop'n'Fresh
USS D'oh
USS Nainourhuh
USS F�rn
USS P�o
USS �yolui
USS Nettu
USS Nox
USS Goa'uld

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

"We call ourselves the Q, so thou mayst call me that."

No, credit as "Rob Farquhar" will be fine, as that's the name I'm currently going by.

------------------

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Zaphod Beeblebrox

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course, SS Essess.

Hey, if you want weird-sounding names that would still be applied on Federation ships, how about each of us listing some classic names from our real national fleets? Perhaps not the names of famous persons (those can be too controversial or too obscure), but rather some cool-sounding words in the respective language. There are enough non-American, non-British members here to create a hefty pool of exotic names. Here are some venerable Finnish ones (from our old icebreaker fleet - the actual Navy uses a dull scheme of city and county names that isn't very useful here). Translations added:

USS Sisu ("guts", stubbornness)
USS Karhu (bear)
USS Urho (braveheart)
USS Voima (strength)
USS Apu (help)
USS Turva (support, protection)
USS Isku (strike)
USS Murtaja (breaker)
USS Kaleva (uh, this has got to do with our national-romantic-pseudo-historic epic - you know, like the Niebelung stories of Germany, or Roland's song, or King Arthur, etc.)
USS V�in�m�inen
USS Ilmarinen (two heroes from the said epic, "Kalevala")

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Member # 343

I think I actually have most of those names in my list already. I've been ripping through mythology & I made copies of the alphabetical indices in the back of about 3 or 4 "issues" of "Jane's Fighting Ships." I found Coast Guard ships & Arabic ships make for great supply ship names--Al Mubareki, Al Sebbah, Point Barrow, Point Charles..etc.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking of using some Dutch Navy names for SF vessels.

USS Michiel de Ruyter
USS De Zeven Provincieen
USS Amsterdam
USS Batavia

And so on..

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

USS Edmond Barton

(Australia's first Prime Minister)

------------------

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited November 02, 2000).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For alien sounding names, you could use some of these, from my Superior Class. They're all named after lakes and mountains all over Earth:
USS Tanganyika
USS Bajkal
USS Malawi
USS Balcha�
USS Ladozskoje
USS Onezskoje
USS Eyre
USS Titicaca
USS Mai
USS Athabasca
USS Rudolf
USS Issyk-Kul'
USS V�nem
USS Nettiming
USS Winnipegosis
USS Bangweulu
USS Qogir Feng
USS Kanchejunga
USS Aconcagua
USS Ojos del Salado
USS Illimani
USS Orizava
USS Kilimanjaro
USS Kirinyaga
USS Margherida
USS El'brus
USS Dykh-Tau
USS Shkhara
USS Giluwe
USS Bangeta

Or use alien planets, as from the Encyclopedia.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps