Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Startships Drawings

Author Topic: Startships Drawings
ziip
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started making sketches when i got into 3d modeling. I was also interested in starships so i researched about them and found out that there are different classes and the ships have registry numbers (U.S.S. 0000000). What are the rules of creating other classes? What are the rules for the registry numbers?

[This message was edited by ziip on June 01, 1999.]

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rules. . . umm, do whatever you like, design-wise, so long as it looks sort of like a Star Trek ship. 8)
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starship design: I have tried to compile some rules on how Trek ships are supposed to look like:

http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/my_ships/design.htm

However, the designers of "real" ships often don't care about their alleged rules themselves. So don't worry if your ship looks unusual, as long as you can say where the propulsion systems, the bridge, weapons etc. are supposed to be. Maybe you can even conceive a Treknological reason why your ships looks different than other designs.

Registry numbers: Pick a supposedly contemporary canon ship design, and give your ship an according number, 3-digit for the 22nd century, 4-digit for the 23rd and 5 digit for the 24th. Avoid NCC-Number-Letter, because this is reserved for the Enterprise(s). The most recent designs are in the NCC-75xxx range.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've checked out Bernd's list a while back, their good tips to keep in mind. But also make sure it stands out from other official ships and is different. Take the Akira-class for example, its design is very different from conventional Starfleet ships, yet at the same time is still recognizible as a Federation vessel.

Hobbes

Federation Starship Datalink

------------------

[This message was edited by Hobbes on June 02, 1999.]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps