Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Starcraft Level ideas/help etc ... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starcraft Level ideas/help etc ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey folks.

I'm working on a custom level for STARCRAFT. I'm not sure if what I've come up with is too complicated ... okay, here's the storyline ...

You play Dominion Troops. You're the Reserve to an early force which went in to the Island World Kas'lin to crush the Rebel forces. The lead force has been lost, and you're being sent in to find them (if possible) and eliminate the Ion Cannon in possession of the Rebels.

Now, as this is an island map, you're going to be sending your guys around in those beautiful drop ships ... imagine the WWII Pacific Island campaigns in Starcraft, okay?

Now, here's how I have it set up:

It's a 256x 256 map, many islands, some occupied by OpFor, some by ... um "others", and many uninhabited.

You start off as Player 1 (Terran) -- roughly in the middle of the map. You've got say 8 Marines, two drops ships, a command center, and a few SCVs to start with.

Elsewhere on the map is Player 2 (Terran, Rescueable) ... that's the first force sent in, and they're kind of hold up, but if you find them, they'll provide you with extra manpower and resources ...

Player 3 and Player 4 (Terrans) are the Opposing Forces. These guys are well dug in, including Goliaths, bunkers, missile turrets, and siege tanks. They're not going anywhere, so this is going to be a rather bloody campaign.

Player 5 and 6 (Zerg) are secondary to the campaign. They're fighting each other, and are on opposite ends of the map, so they'll probably cause some hassle for you. They're just there for fun, mind ya

I was thinking about adding a Player 7 (Terran), who would be the militia of the colonists (making this a colonized world -- ooh, civilians!) and would be fighting the Zerg, the Rebels, and quite possibly -- you too! I'm thinking this might be just a tad TOOO much, though.

Anyway, the point of this is, I'm about to start actually editing the level and then setting up the commands and all, and I'm wondering if I've got too much stuff set up. Lord knows, two full Terran Armies as OpFor, plus two Zerg running around attacking each other'll make this level one HELL of a bitch. Add colonial militia to the mix ... Especially since you're relying on drop ships to carry your troops! You fly over a missile turret or an enemy Goliath (or Marines, for that matter) and you're in tough luck ... scratch one Drop Ship and the eight Marines it was carrying!

I'm going to put "rocky" ground on part of each island, where your enemy (and for that matter, you) can't build any missile turrets or the like, to make it at least a possibility of landing on each island. I'm also planning on scattering resources (crystals and geysers) on more than one island so you've got plenty of material to get the job done.

So, what does everybody think?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 17, 2001).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think SC needs boat units. Transports, subs, carriers, and warships.

The transports.. well I don't need to explain what they do.

Submarines: Hidden but can be seen with a detector unit. Like real subs carry nukes, so you could use them in the same manner as Ghosts to lock on and fire a nuclear missile.

Carriers: No attack ability, carry a certain amount of Wraiths that way the enemy has no way of seeing your air fleet, or how many there are until it's too late. Amount of Wraiths upgradable.

Warships: Attacks coastal units and would have upgradable range.

But anyway, as for your level.. what about the Protoss? And tell me when you finish, maybe we can get a few other Flare members and play on your map.

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. I've never played "multi-player" before, so I might have to edit another (similar) map for that, wouldn't I? But, yeah, that'd be cool. Hmmm ...

Probably no Protoss on this level. I don't like them all that much, anyway.

You know what would really be cool? If you could combine "Worlds" ... edit a level with one desert island, one badland, one winter, and so on. And make it a lot bigger too ... 1500 x 1500 or so ... and, and, and ...

I don't think the Aircract Carrier would work with the Wraiths ... I mean, Wraiths can pretty much fly wherever you need them to and can do it pretty quickly. Now, if you introduced a new flying unit, say a Bomber of sorts? If the Carrier moved quicker than the Bomber could fly, it would make sense. The Carrier could also carry Drop Ships. I'd say a Battlecruiser too, but I don't think a Carrier could HOLD a Battlecruiser ... honestly, tho, the Valkyries and Wraiths fly pretty quickly in and of themselves.

Submarines would be cool ... especially if you could use them as "cover" transports ... load a Ghost into one of 'em, and "insert" the Ghost behind enemy lines or something ... heh ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 19, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 19, 2001).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my idea of a sub wouldn't require a ghost, the unit itself would be a ghost.

Prehaps the carrier could have it's own jets, but then it'd be too similar to the Protoss carrier.

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Hobbes,

What I meant was that the sub could "carry" other units in much the same way that a Drop Ship can "carry" units ... except, being a sub, the "units" would probably be restricted to Medic, Marine, Firebat or Ghost. But since Ghosts can call in nukes, those would be my choice for a strike attack on the enemy

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I like the idea of a level made up of mostly islands as it kind of reduces the usefulness of siege tanks, which happen to be one of my favourite machines in the game.

BTW, what are the names of those Zerg queen things that spit out a parasite thing that bursts out of the enemy unit and starts attacking? They have to be one of the best ideas in the game, as they take out a siege tank in one shot.

------------------
*Kenshiro gets off bed made from solid stone*
*Bed made from solid stone explodes*
Fist of the North Star

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*L* They're, uh.. *L* Queens. *L*

------------------
Chickety china, the chinese chicken, you have?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure he was asking for the name of the parasites. Broodlings.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I wasn't sure of either name.

BTW does anyone find the computer rather difficult to beat on the multiplayer game? Me and a friend were playing 2-player co-op as Terrans against the Zerg, and we just couldn't beat them, even after setting up several bases with ridiculous numbers of units. The Zerg just seemed to be uncontainable. I can't remember the name of the level, but it was all on land, which might partly explain the difficulty.

------------------
Fist of the North Star

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in my experience, the Zerg are big on swarms. They'll attack you with a few units, then slowly build up the amount for each attack. Eventually they send so many units after you that you can't stop them all.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The computer's a pain to beat no matter who you're playing as in multi-player (or who they're playing as, for that matter)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. My friends and I have come to find the computer rather easy to beat. It always does the same things. It does them very quickly, but if you can survive the first rush chances are you'll win.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

Not so in my case. We had been established and playing the same level for about two hours with 2 large attacks destroying most of our units close to the end. We had started to build up our defenses again and were starting to send in ghosts to nuke them but next thing we knew, they were all over us. The amount of units they had was unreal. They just wiped us out, and we're both quite good at the game.

------------------
Fist of the North Star

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Starcraft is a good game, but I prefer Tiberian Sun. I was playing a skirmish the other day with one AI player and it ended in a stalemate. There was no way for either player to win. Then I played against 2 AI players the other day. The good thing about that is the AI players focus all their attention on attacking each other, leaving me free to build up my forces and credits. The read AIs were in for a shock when I wiped out their refinery, war factory, and construction yard.

------------------

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

Oh, the satisfaction of an economical victory! Maximum glory, minimal losses. Sexual.

------------------
Fist of the North Star

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited January 31, 2001).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.