Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Star Trek Comic Bridges

Author Topic: Star Trek Comic Bridges
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking for inspiration in sketching more starship bridges today, I remembered that a few of my old comics had some interesting, if not workable, designs. Now, Trek comics are notorious for not respecting what stuff actually looks like, but every once in a while they come out with something that's actually consistent. Ii've scanned these in:

First, the USS Marco Polo, a Challenger-class explorer (the one with the Constellation-class saucer and upper nacelles, and Constitution class secondary hull tacked on to the bottom) under Captain Lyrinda Halk. It gets pasted by some generic bad guys in this comic, though the focus is on Riker's on/off romance with the Marco Polo's captain. Anyway, the E-D responds to the distress call, and when Riker & Co. beam aboard, they see this:

[URLs Fixed - you can see both pics now]
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/Marcopolo1.jpg http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/Marcopolo2.jpg

The bridge is basically the E-nil movie bridge with extra TNG consoles here and there. actually, it's not that bad. Next up, the USS Tubman bridge. The Tubman was some sort of Constellation variant with slightly-rounder components (whch didn't look all that hot).
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/Tubman.jpg

The bridge is original, if uninspired. The Tubman was a training vessel, which Lt. Gomez ("Q Who?" and "Samaritan Snare") takes command of after Geordi gets knocked out of action (they were overseeing the cadets).

Given the interest in my sketching on the onther recent thread, I figured this could be of interest to y'all...

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

[This message has been edited by Mark Nguyen (edited February 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mark Nguyen (edited February 09, 2001).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a graphic novel out there that has a Miranda in it, I forget the name of both. The basic plot is that the Miranda gets captured by some bad guys and ends up getting destroyed (sound familiar? Chekov's even on the Miranda!)

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the issue with the Tubman (I thought I was buying the issue with the Marco Polo, but it was the wrong one - damn comic book bags that you can't open!), and I find it very humorous that the cover shows the Constellation class ship to be correctly drawn, but incorrectly drawn everywhere else in the comic, most notably the position of the nacelles. Gomez also looks totally different between cover and actual issue. You'd think that both artists could have gotten together and noticed the differences.

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately that happens very frequently in comics. Either that or the cover will be amazing and the inside art poop.

The bridge of the Tubman I have to say is..unique. I like it but I hate it, in that it seems to draw more attention to the captain than other bridge designs, but at the same time it doesn't centralize the outer stations. Perhpaps if the other stations had been arranged similar to the Defiant's tactical stations and your own 'Explorer' type tactical stations, it would work together a bit more smoothly.

------------------
"Evil takes many forms, but my favorite is a jelly donut."

Right
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux,

I can't think exactly of the name of the comic you mean, but it was written by Howard Weinstein and featured Gary 7.

IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't that graphic novel also feature the return of Harry Mudd?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say I like the concept of the second bridge, with the circular all-in-one console wall-thing around the Captain.

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember. It's been a while since I leafed through it.

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I just got the New Frontier graphic novel Double Time today, and I scanned in a couple of shots of the Excalibur bridge.

Excalibur Bridge View 1
Excalibur Bridge View 2

It's basically a modified version of the E-C bridge, except:
-modern consoles
-ramps instead of steps
-CO/XO seating arrangment like on Voyager
-turbolift doorways harken back to the original Enterprise

------------------
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow ... sort of an early concept of the TNG bridge, with the command chair element of VOY. I like it ... very utilitarian. God-damn that Tac officer is HUGE!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Yeah, Kebron's pretty big. He actually seems bigger in the books...

------------------
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Yeah the Excalibur bridge is nifty. There's a schematic of the thing in the back of the book (anyone got a scan?) - it's the E-C bridge with seats at the aft stations, extra doors along the back (one's a turbolift, the other's the passage to the conference room), and the E-D "horseshoe" console housing the centre two seats from Voyager. A real Frankenstein.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Yeah, but it's a neat looking Frankenstein

------------------
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...I have a request to anyone who currently owns some or all of these 'comic books' that you kids today call them, with all the pictures and no words. Back in my day, we used to read. Damn punks.

Anyway, would anyone care to take the time to skim through their 'Satan Books', and make a list of Federation ships that appeared? I know it's wierd, and non-canon and all, but I'd be greatly appreciative.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, the cieling height of the Excalibur bridge is like, fifteen feet. I loke the setup otherwise. Could someone post a picture of the E-C bridge? Because I don't remember it looking anything like that and I have no reference. That to me looks like the bridge of the E-D with enhanced rear consoles, command center and - well a fifteen foot high cieling. I'm not exactly an expert on TNG bridges anyway, but a pic would be appreciated.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps