Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Cauldron Born

Author Topic: USS Cauldron Born
Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a reworking of one of my first designs. To answer Fed shipmaster the opening is so large to allow for the multipule torp tubes.
http://www.oregontrail.net/~kjward/cauld.jpg

------------------
If you need it I can build it. Just as long as there is a box of junk for me to use.

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a design brief. Also I know that it looks a little like the equinox but I had designed this long before I had ever seen that ship.

Although the war with the Dominion was over Starfleet command understood the need for warships. However they did not want to waste resources and crews on ships designed only for war. A brief was sent to the design team in hopes that a solution could be found. The design team came up with the idea of making the majority of the weapons systems modular. The warship version would have a large portion of the saucer removed to allow access to a micro torpedo array (MTA). When there becomes no need for the warship the array is removed and replaced with the front portion of the saucer which houses a large amount of sensors. Once in this mode the ship becomes suitable for planetary surveys and short range science studies.

The MTA is a prototype weapons platform. The array has 8 launching tubes that fire in consecutive pairs. Each tube fires 4 torpedoes before the system moves to the next pair to allow for reload. With this system a ship can fire a continues stream of torpedoes at an enemy vessel. The torpedoes themselves have been redesigned. They are considerable smaller due to a smaller guidance system. The new guidance system only allows for small course corrections and are run by a dedicated targeting computer onboard the ship.

------------------
If you need it I can build it. Just as long as there is a box of junk for me to use.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice idea. Maybe, if you refine the ship, you could show how the weapon module is replaced by the sensor module.

What does the name "Cauldron Born" mean? Your birthplace?

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a "cauldron" is a big, black pot that witches in fairy tales brew their most potent spells in..

So I'd assume that "cauldron born" would mean something powerful and vicious, with vaguely sinister overtones.

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

Cauldron Born is the name of the unstoppable zombies of Irish myth. I'm still working on this design but it will take me a while.

------------------

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Cauldron Born"?
An Irish myth? Unstoppable zombies?

An Irish myth?

OK, OK, OK. Maybe it is. I don't remember it in my History or Irish classes.

And are you sure you've spelt it right.
"Ban", with a French eegu(sp),Irish for "white", and "Bean", Irish for "woman", might be mis-pronounced as "Born" by Yanks.

Get back to me on this one.

------------------
If no-one will play with me, then I'm going home,and I'm bringing the inflatible with me.

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was wondering about that when I looked at the picture...

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.