Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Banzai Technical Image (top view)

Author Topic: Banzai Technical Image (top view)
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

1425 X 900 view

Brigman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cargile,

Your design is incredible, as usual from you. I am also impressed at how well you are able to translate a sketch into a computer illustration. Do you use Adobe Illustrator, or some other drawing program? Just curious...

------------------
Peace!
Brigs

IP: Logged
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are going to be amazed. First I scanned half the sketch. Then using Paint Shop Pro (shareware version that should have expired two years ago) I increased the brightness until the lines were faint, and saved it in bmp. Then I open MSPaint and trace over the lines. I go back and use PSP to fill in over the original pencil marks, then use MSP to make the final details. I select the image, copy and mirror that image, connecting the two into one whole. I do my painting with PSP, and and lighting and shade with Ulead Photoimpact SE. Lettering I do with PSP, unless it's a paragraphical narrative, then I use MSP. I think I do pretty good with what I have available. I need more practice with making realistic shading, I could do it, but it would be very tedious with what I'm using.
Brigman
Ex-Member

Whoa, now I am doubly impressed. I have worked with all of the above and they are NOT the easiest things under the sun to use.

Dude, you really GOT to try Adobe Illustrator. I just finished a class on it myself. And the things you can do, and how fast you can do 'em, are incredible. I am gonna buy it soon... it's around $110 for students. You'd be unstoppable! The only sticking point is the pen tool, which is somewhat complicated until you know it, but I would be happy to show you how to use it!

------------------
Peace!
Brigs

[This message was edited by Brigman on June 06, 1999.]

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks amazing Cargile. I took your advice about practice. Also I am taking more time on the one I'm doing now.

------------------
If you need it I can build it. Just as long as there is a box of junk for me to use.

Deep6
Ex-Member

I got one thing to say.....damn nice ship.

------------------
"Well yeah ok thats just about the most awful thing I've ever seen"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cargile: get PSP 5. You can use it to put a whole new layer over your sketch, then trace over it, making loads of adjustments if needed. That's how I'm doing my current one. . .

------------------
"I also received an interesting, if some-what perplexing, note from a 13-year-old lad who asked if I "had a clue." I fear I cannot adequately answer, as I am not aware of any immediate clues at hand; but that is not to say there are none present." - T. Herman Zweibel

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and you can have extra layers to put in guidelines. . .

AND you can use antialiasing to create lines that aren't jagged even when diagonal.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got Illustrator 8, Paint Shop Pro 5, and Photoshop 4...and didn't even pay a cent for either one of the programs. Hehehe, nothing like a little pirated software from school and work is there? But uh, don't tell anyone that.

Anyway, like the others above, I love the design and drawing itself. My website has a fanart page dedicated to the ships created by Trekkie, like this ship, and so you wouldn't mind if I put it on there would you?

Hobbes

Federation Starship Datalink

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes, pirating software is illegal, punishable by a very large fine. I'm reporting you to the police. Maybe if sick, deranged people like you actually paid for software it wouldn't be so expensive. You're the type of person responsible for destroying society, you know.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, now I figured a guy like you would have at least a little bit of a sense of humor. Besides, assuming I have had done that do you really think I would tell the entire net?

Hobbes

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, I see people do it all the time. But if you are a moral, law-abiding, non-software-stealing individual, then I applaud you.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. As I said when I found the Ranger and Rapier designs on your homepage, Cargile, I'm *very* impressed!
Don't suppose you've got any other little gems you want to share with us?

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the Ranger...did you ever do a top down view of that ship, Cargile? Personally speaking, I think it is just about the best fan design I've ever seen. Though RW and Adam do excellent work as well.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

I haven't done anything on the Ranger yet.

------------------
"Minsk."

Cmdr Worf

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.