Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Designs: Opinion Poll (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Designs: Opinion Poll
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the configurations came directly or indirectly from the constitution. As for drawing them by hand, all the drawing are from material that was traced, improvised , or invented.

I personally have always loved this era of Trek, but the powers that be feel that new and sharper designs are better. I would have love to have had more fleet battles similar to the era of battleships and sailing vessels.

Boy is it dead around here!

------------------
hello world

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! And I thought the normal (albeit, probably wrong) configurations for the Challenger and Rigel looked odd!

------------------
"Silence, you contemptible shrew!"
-Stewie, The Family Guy

[This message was edited by TSN on June 14, 1999.]

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, I see lots of people have had their two cents' worth, so it's time for mine...

Kitbashing
There's kitbashing in the movies (Constitution and Miranda), in TNG (Galaxy and Nebula), and now the DS9 fleet. I think kitbashes are OK if done properly... I mean, most of the material put out by people like Jackill and Mastercom Data are kitbashes; even the original "Star Fleet Technical Manual" had kitbash designs in to make scouts, destroyers etc.

FASA
Some FASA designs are OK, some are terrible. I tend to judge them on an as-and-when basis (ie when I find them), and modify them to suit.

Image Quality
Cargile's pencil sketches and Adam Heinbuch's CGI are just two of the gems to be found... I don't mind lesser quality images, althouhg what I do hate is drawings which look like they were done with a Commodore 64! I mean, there's artistic license, there's art, and then there's usable Treknology...

More later - keep em coming!

[This message was edited by Starbuck on June 15, 1999.]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that bugs me?

Ascii art ship designs.

*Speeeeew!*

------------------
American Society of Newspaper Editors motto:
"Proudly Maintaining the (Continued on Page A-4)".
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
** agrees with Baloo **

------------------
WARNING: Storing semtex in the microwave
may be hazardous to your health!

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm neutral on the first issue. It all depends on the components and how they're used.
I dislike it when peopel make ships that have too many weapons. It's unrealistic.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Remembers having a major rant about this a few weeks back that upset Altair*

I don't like kitbashes much.
BUT I think the keyword here is TASTE.
Say it with me, jurors.
"Taste."

This topic pleases me.

------------------
If no-one will play with me, then I'm going home,and I'm bringing the inflatible with me.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Personally I believe ASCII-art is an art form in itself.

About designs, I believe a ship must have flowing lines, as if it cuts through space, but not too much, keep them a little bulky. But one deadly thing, I believe, is big protruding nacelles in exactly the wrong places. Andrewr's example, er..for example, is a good example of a clean, balanced design. A kitbash, but a good one nonetheless.

[that's three times example in one sentence-how's that?]

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to jump into this again. I actually like engineering the ships I design. Where is the warp core going to be? How about the fuel tanks and the computer core? Where do I think the nacelles should be placed for optimum performance? What brand of headers should I use? Pirelli or Good-year? And of course, wheelbase.

Er, wait a minute. Back to starships. I'll do a lot of scribbling to get the shape right, then work with a ship for days--some times months, until I get it just right.

(and because someone will assume the above mentioned namebrands are meant to be answer the header question and tell me that I'm wrong. The namebrands are tires. I know that.)

------------------
"There are always bigger tits."

Qui-Gon Jinn in Mos Espa's sleaziest adult nightclub.

Antagonist
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to raise an old topic from the dead or anything...

Sometimes a ship may seem over armed, but in reality modern day vessels in the U.S. and other navies have massive armaments.

Take the WWII German Type-XX U-boat. This massive beast had six forward and twelve aft torpedo launchers, of course it only held 30 or so torpedoes. They had quick firing in mind with that rather than pure firepower, as reloading a torpedo was dangerous and lengthy.

And most of the old German U-boats had a single 20mm cannon for anti-aircraft use. Others that were customized had a quadruple 20mm cannon on deck along with smaller 7.25mm guns. (That partiular U-boat drove off two squadrons of Avenger aircraft at one time, heavily damaging all of them. Tell me that's not overarming!)

If the weapon can fit into the ship, then it's not over arming it (unless of course you have a special Defiant class ship with a million torpedoes, which is not only unrealistic but defeats the whole purpose of designing a starship).

In the way of actually designing a starship in hull shape: It can be anything you want. Whether it be a single saucer or a multiple-hulled craft like the Enterprise, it all depends on what you do to it to make it interesting to the eye.

Paul Cargile's ships are sometimes kitbashed (slightly, if I remember correctly the Prevaricate looks like a Defiant and a Runabout), but they're interesting to the eye because they seem to have their own way of combining it.

Adam Heinbuch's designs are interesting to me as well, at least the Sentinel is. It's a very streamlined organic-looking shape and it's never been done that way before.

------------------
Master of the spoon

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't design the Prevaricate. The vessel was created by David Highlander for his fanfiction and the artwork on the SMR site was done by Tom Varvaresos. I would like to redesign the ship and give it a more Rapier look, but as it is not mine I will not.

I don't mind kitbashing. I can take several elements form a few starship in existance and merge them together in a sketch, but I don't cut and paste often. On CSD, the Chikara is blatanly a Galaxy c-n-p. But others do because that is what they can do to express their ideas. And that's cool.

------------------
I was right in the middle of a f*cking reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these goddam things."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hey, if U-boats had multiple tubes for quick reloading, why didn't tanks of that time have multiple guns as well? *ponders* *lightbulb appears floating above RW's flaming hair* Erm, weight, I guess. And space.

Never mind :]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.