Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » I want to write a sci-fi, and I have one idea. Suggestions?

Author Topic: I want to write a sci-fi, and I have one idea. Suggestions?
Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's not much to say than list of something:
  • I want it to be a hard sci-fi, so I decided to use a tech background similar to B5 and of Weber's books. Probably Baxter too, but not so extremely long-timed and overpowered.
  • So, really, I want only one tech suggestion from you: What FTL should I pick: Wormholes or Quantum Tunneling. I actually prefer tunneling, since it's at least reasonable in terms of energy.

That's about tech. Now, about the universe:
  • I'm thinking about a war between two alliances. One is like Interstellar Alliance, but, well... a lot harshier. Other is imperialistic, but not a Empire. War is neither full-size nor cold
Not much... I probably forgot something. I'll add stuff later. IE, stuff about hero and his friends(though he don't have any) and such.

--------------------
Fear is the ultimate enemy.And unreasoning is second that.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that the bullet points are so much more understandable than the rest...?

If you use some kind of Quantum Tunneling, you'd never have to explain the physics of it... Using wormholes is not a good idea IMHO.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno why they're more understandable.
So, a hero(though not really thought of)
  • He's a badass, plain and simple. But he has brains, though he likes brute force more. He is a military officer, and he has just got free(He has been in jail for 6 months for burning a planet). And now he's a privateer soldier(Sounds freaky, that means that he's free but must work for military, though he may gain money on it)

More later, again.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Future Frank Castle, huh?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So he's an asshole.. i hate reading books that hero-ize assholes. Section 31 garbage, etc.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One suggestion: be able to write. Doesn't mean shit how much planning you put into your fictional universe if the end result is completely unreadable.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrong Forum... *move*
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A future Mack Bolan

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember this when dealing with grammar:
quote:
Originally posted by MajorBarcalow:
Mispelings and typing acidents ARE NOT IMPORTANT. THEY DON"T MATTER. I UNDERSTAND ME!!!WHY NOT YOU?!!!!!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Nevod
Member # 738

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Just remember this when dealing with grammar:
quote:
Originally posted by MajorBarcalow:
Mispelings and typing acidents ARE NOT IMPORTANT. THEY DON"T MATTER. I UNDERSTAND ME!!!WHY NOT YOU?!!!!!

That's because my English isn't very good yet.

Though I'll write this in Russian. [Razz]

--------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here we go!

I have been trying to write a sci-fi novel for years now (pretty close to ten years). I've had to constantly put it to one side due to my studies which is a real pain (and the reason for taking so long). But here is some adivce:

Don't continuously revise your work - just write the damn thing from start to finish! (I'm talking about a first draft here). Once this is done, put it all together in a folder or a box file (or two, depending upon size) and put it in a draw for at least a month, preferably two or even as long as six months.

After leaving your work for a while, come back to it and view it with a fresh eye, and revise it ferociously. Make yourself see all the bits that don't work, and force yourself to change them.

While this piece is in the draw - keep writing. Perhaps another novel, or a collection of short stories - whatever. And remember this: the first novel that you write and put your heart into might not be "the one". It may be your third or seventh, you just don't know.

Quote from Sara Douglass's website:
quote:
"Writing must be one of the most disciplined professions on earth: it has to be, because without discipline nothing will ever get done. I find writing very hard, and literally have to force myself to do it. Getting that first draft down is very, very difficult. Personally I find that the only way I can write is to discipline myself into a routine, and I think most writers have their own discipline and routine. You have to find your own routine, but once you find one that works for you, then you have to discipline yourself to keep to it, and not to waver and wander. If you set aside Saturday to write, then write on Saturday, don't keep running out to do the shopping, or going off for a few hours to watch the kids' football. If you set aside one day a week to write, then be totally selfish - that is your day to write, and nothing comes between you and your writing.

You not only have to be disciplined in setting aside time (and then being selfish enough to insist on keeping that time to yourself and your writing), but you must be disciplined in ensuring you are constantly moving forward in your writing. Don't waste yourself in constant revising and rewriting until you have a first draft done. As I mention elsewhere, I've watched friends constantly revise the first half of a novel for year after year, and they won't accept that they will never finish that novel. I've been in the same position. You write a bit, then you succumb to the temptation to go back and revise it. Just a bit. It won't take long."

If you like, I can post a summary of suggestions made by many successful authors and put the best and most useful bits in (get rid of all the personal bits and just throw in the facts). Personally I think that you should only write what you like/love, otherwise you just won't be interested and it'll be crap and never sell.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps