Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » My new NX-01 3D model (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My new NX-01 3D model
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've spent considerably more time than I care to admit working on this. Bear in mind that it is my first Trek model, and that it's mostly just modelling practice to learn my new 3D program. I think I'm almost at a place where I can finally start texture mapping it...

It definitely needs some more work. Particularly in the nacelles. I've been having a really hard time with them...

[ February 16, 2002, 14:08: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can check the side view with this image:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/other/nx01-side.jpg
I can't tell where I got it, but it's the offcial model.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice -- !

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's looking quite good.

Hey, Bernd, how does that official side view contrast with your extrapolated version you did, that we used for the UP3 diag?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I can't tell where I got it, but it's the offcial model."

Pretty damned suspicious...

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fishy origins be damned, that side view is really helping a great deal. I had been using Bernd's extrapolated side view as a template, but refined it a bit with that deckplan (i'm sure you've seen around). (The top view is, of course, taken from a cleaned up high-rez scan of the spread from TV Guide.) The "official" model side view really helps me nail down a couple disprepencies and gives me a better idea about what's going on with those nacelles. Thanks again, Bernd! Did I mention that you're my hero?

[ February 05, 2002, 21:27: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

bX
Member # 419

Please note that these discrepancies = pretty minor.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.. y'know, without all the excessive textures present on the official model, this one looks like it could've.. um.. i dont know .. come BEFORE the NCC-1701. Strange idea, that..
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...only if you remained fixated on the bizarre idea that smooth plating is primitive and rough textured plating is advanced. [Smile]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main differences between my preliminary version and the official one are that some parts like the observation tower are protruding although I thought they shouldn't, that the strangely twisted double hull doesn't really look strangely twisted from the side, and that I didn't get the hull curvature quite right in the forward upper saucer and where the double hull runs into the bottom of the saucer.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, fuck it, we'll just stick with your extrapolated view. Unless you can be assed to modify it, I know I can't. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Member # 419

It's VERY close. Micrographix is Vector based, right?

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Yes, it's similar to Corel Draw - although mutual conversion is almost impossible.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Greg
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
Yes, it's similar to Corel Draw - although mutual conversion is almost impossible.

CorelDraw 10 can import Micrografx Designer 6.0 (DSF) but can't export or save in that format.

Just my two cents.

IP: Logged
bX
Member # 419

I've never used Micrographix, but if Bernd is using it it can't be that bad. I use a really old version of Deneba Canvas (3.5.4 from like 1990), if it's any consolation. It really tears it up at doing simple B&W drawings because it's tuned to work with an Mac IIci, and I'm running it on a G4/400 with 640MB of RAM. I can beat just about anyone using any other program for speed and accuracy. Unfortunately Strata won't import the EPS files Canvas exports (and Canvas would have a tough time with the HUGE image files I've been using as templates) so I've been using Adobe Illustrator. But even then I'm using 7.0. The idea of vector transparency and mesh gradients appeals to me, but I'm waiting for OSX versions of the whole Adobe Suite before I upgrade...

[ February 12, 2002, 12:00: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps