Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Main Engineering (Galaxy Class) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Main Engineering (Galaxy Class)
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only textures used in the scene are the carpet layers and the computer LCARS displays...

TSN - they orignally had no uniforms, they were nude! Or virtually so, muscular like an action figure. I had to bulk them up to make them appear as though they had clothes, and then colour them accordingly. Anyway I amended Mr Redshirt to look like me, hence the well endowed bulge.... lol, no seriously, I didn't realise it showed that much.

Michael, I'd love any LCARS stuff you've got. The bigger the resolution the better. Got any Galacy Class MSDs amongst them?

The lighting was a nightmare Balaam. This image was render number 28, after experiemtning with so many different lighting types/configurations that I lost count. This was the only one that offered adequate intensity and ambience at the same time, and also handled even shadows. In fact I had to have the figures abstain from casting shadows, because they were huge otherwise, spread out across the wall, looking quite bizarre, as if they were in a small cave huddled round a fire.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran into that problem doing some CG set design stuff for my show. It hurts. Of course my show is called "Our Place In The Shadows" so I didn't mind too much, but I did wind up using quite a few more light sources than I thought I'd need.
Sometimes pointing a series of wide angle kliegs up at where the source is coming from and then upping the reflectivity and the glow (to cover up the annoying mirrorlike reflections the object would otherwise have) of the object the light is supposed to be coming from will diffuse the lights a bit more. Sometimes that only makes it worse.
Lighting is such a science of itself. And it's irritating because when it's done right, you just don't notice. As opposed to when you do it wrong (see some of the links in
this
thread) and everyone notices.
Anyway, it's looking good sir! I look forward to seeing more.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lightwave - that's only for a Mac right? What can I get for a PC - preferably free or if not free, then cheap?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LightWave is neither free, nor cheap, nor Mac-only.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red, I know I have a color pic of the Galaxy Class MSD. Not sure how high a quality it is though.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
LightWave is neither free, nor cheap, nor Mac-only.

Yeah I know it ain't free or cheap - unless you get a Warez copy - sadly it's too big for me to download in 2 hours (the warex copy that is). It's not Mac-only? Oh, must have mis-read the text.

So is anyone going to answer my question about where I can get a copy of a graphics program like Lightwave but is pretty cheap but can produce the same quality stuff?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a reason why Lightwave and 3D Studio cost more than your average family saloon, you know [Wink]

Luckily, I've been able to get my hands on both - I prefer LW however, because of its superior rendering engine.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no Mac user by the way, I've got a proper computer.

Michael, yes please do send me whatever you've got of the Galaxy Class MSD. It needn't be high res, it's not going to be seen in any great detail in the scene. Can you post it here? Or perhaps you could send it via email.

akb1979, are you on a 2 hour isp limit? In that case use Getright or another download manager, in many cases you'll be able to resume the downloads later after disconnecting.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
I'm no Mac user by the way, I've got a proper computer.

[Big Grin] HEHE! I feel a slaggin' match a coming! HEHE! [Big Grin]

quote:
akb1979, are you on a 2 hour isp limit? In that case use Getright or another download manager, in many cases you'll be able to resume the downloads later after disconnecting.
Cheers Bud!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red, what's your e-mail?

Mine is [email protected]

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Email me at my domain, ie *anything*@trekmania.net

cheers

--------------------

The ASDB

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Red, I'm sending you pieces of my LCARS collection since I have ADSL only. Let me know if you want more.

[ March 11, 2002, 15:53: Message edited by: Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge ]

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

ADSL only, I'm still 56K!

Thanks for the pics, but I could do with that Galaxy MSD if you get the chance... cheers

--------------------

The ASDB

akb1979
Member # 557

ADSL? What's that? I only have 56k too.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - a lot faster alternative to 56K. Can be expensive, but Cable broadband has it beat, at least right now in the UK.

--------------------

The ASDB

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps