Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » any kind (artistic souls) care to help out???

Author Topic: any kind (artistic souls) care to help out???
Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alright this is a really pathetic post but i'm a pretty bad artist - well when it comes to doing these tech/starships and futuristic watnot....but i have 'envisioned' (lol) a Galaxy-Class like design, which if anyone has too much time on their hands might like to try and construct something based on my suggestions....its not important but if anyone wants to i wouldnt mind seeing an end result.

1) start with a Galaxy class saucer except its width has decreased and length increased - ie.. galaxy style intrepid-shaped saucer.

2) a roll bar above the saucer (wit the torpedo/sensor pod housing located behind the bridge - so that the housing is not directly above the bridge deck.

3) a roll bar on the underside of the ship housing the engineering section+deflector, sort of like a steamrunner

4) the nacelles are attached either:
with one nacelle on each side of the saucer where the roll bars join

-or-

attached to the bottom roll bar

so any artists who are interested thats a starting point - but of course since (if) u do decide to design something along these lines it would be fine and you can use as much artistic licence as u want....

if there happens to be a design very similar to what i have described above then...link me to it!

lol

well thanks in advance to anyone who wants to express their talent!

Buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Joe Brown
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The design sounds interesting... have you looked at any of the Dominion War scratchbuilds that were posted over on Starship Modeler? Some of designs that people built up for that contest have elements of what you are describing.

http://starshipmodeler.com/gallery/contest3/scr28.htm

http://starshipmodeler.com/gallery/contest3/scr26.htm

In Starship Modeler's Gallery, you'll see a box with "Select an category to view: " and then scroll down to Dominion War Scratchbuilds

http://starshipmodeler.com/gallery/gallery.cfm

And there are the excellent projects that Micheal Bower Putnam has done:

http://www.scc.net/~mbpcomdn/feyman/

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh...the second time today I've had my work quoted back at me. Airbody loves that long saucer with the flythrough shuttlebay.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of those scrtachbuilds and kitbashes are kick butt, man. Backing my theory that fans should be allowed to make models for the show... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I've read through your proposal, I'm intrigued. But I think you need an original saucer design as the basis, something pointy like the Intrepid, but without a design that utilises a Galaxy cross-section. Otherwise, it'll still be too round and might interfere with the placing of the nacelles, which I think should be at the sides, not attached to the lower rollbar.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey thanx to Joe Brown, for those links.
yeah i thought that some of those scratchbuilds were really good and shouldve been in the show so i totally agree wit your comment Aban.

To Vogon, about the saucer i was thinking of something along the lines of a pointy Intrepid style saucer since a Galaxy shaped ellipse would be too wide (like u mentioned). But at the time i thought about the idea 'Voyager' had only just come out and most of the ship design ideas i had were based on designs seen in TNG - most notably the Galaxy Class.

Buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Kitbashed Starships, Batman!!

I hate these people. I hate them , I hate them because I could never ever manage to do this kind of work with these klutzy shaking hands of mine.

I wonder if anybody's ever thought of going into the kitbashed modelmaking business. Like, selling finished models to people who just want ships to hang.

I wonder what some of these things would go for...
I mean, LOOK at that Romulan kitbash on that last site! Criminy!

[ March 16, 2002, 08:13: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of two: What you should do is contact a builder and make him an offer. It can't hurt to ask.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. And there's a shitload of us at SM.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, what program should I use to create my own 3D starship models - like the Star Trek and Star Wars ones, and even my own?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps