Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Mark scrounges up another bridge!

Author Topic: Mark scrounges up another bridge!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, two actually. The first is one of my new favorites, which looks like this:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/469/Explorer5.jpg

Which is based in part on one that looks like this:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/469/Custom-1.jpg

The first one is also inspired from partial sketches of the E-E bridge from thh TNG Sketchbook - I liked the dual arc motif they have going there, and I maintained the pullout stations from the E-D. I like to call this one what *I* would've liked in the Sovereign-class bridge, since I believe the movie set sucks ass. The aft corridor and room arrangement are based on ideas from Chris, who asked me to sketch it up for his own projects.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! I like that Explorer 5 design, too -- though don't you think that the CO and XO chairs should be closer together? I don't think that the two side chairs near the Captain's Chair should be so far to the front.

Other than that, it looks fine. [Smile]

(But what's with those "ramp down" areas? If they're supposed to lead to Deck 2, then why not have stairs? Space is at a premium on a starship, and such a ramp could be a big waste of space.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CO and XO chairs are relatively far apart, yes; it's an attempt to decentralize the command area. There's space now for people to stand to either side of the captain if need be for conversations - on the Galaxy, the CO could only talk to people directly in front of him if there were people in the flanking chairs. This way, the CO gets to see more of the bridge while the XO chairs have consoles that are built into the sweep of the horseshoe. Distance-wise, they're really no farther than Kirk was from Spock at the science station on the E-nil, so...

As for the ramps, well this is the TNG era. The E-D and presumably Voyager had ramps down from Deck 1, and this makes it much easier to move larger objects to the bridge. We don't need no stinkin' stairs. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps