Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Starship animation clips (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starship animation clips
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some animation stuff recently put together. Nothing spectacular (ie explosions and war), but some starship fly-bys and so forth. Check 'em out if you're interested. (DivX codec required - link on page)

http://www.trekmania.net/art/3d_animations.htm

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curse you, DivX codec.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. [Frown]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uno problemo...?

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Jb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very impressive! I especially like the Nebula/Merced flyby and the Fleet animations, though all four were great. It's nice to see some different designs represented!
Regards
Jb

IP: Logged
bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac People have to jump through many many flaming hoops to make DivX go. Even then it doesn't work. Someone somewhere is reportedly developing a Mac DivX option and QT6 will supposedly support this, but I can't play your files on my mac, and I can't be arsed to set up my PC right now.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Sorry I didn't realise you were on a Mac. You could try the Alpha release of latest DivX for Macs, it provides full decoding capability, it's here:

http://www.divx.com/divx/maclinux.php

[ March 29, 2002, 12:43: Message edited by: The Red Admiral ]

--------------------

The ASDB

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn this computer. I hate my computer, I know that I have all the programs needed but its says File Not Found or Unable to Load.

Time to get a new one... again.

From the pics I see, they're crappy pics but if I could play the animations I could say someting...

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my Windows Media Player wanted me to get back onto the Net to download some codecs. So I did - only the Merced&Neb and the Bigfleet ones don't work. I need "vids: DIVX decompressor" and "vids: DX50 decompressor". WTF? [Confused]

HELP! What does that mean and where can I get them from?????

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Jb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:

From the pics I see, they're crappy pics...

If you don't have anything nice to say... [Wink]
Regards
Jb

IP: Logged
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

The pictures are only small sized thumbnails to basically [i]show[/] what the animation involves. The actual resolution of the clips is much larger.

To play them you have to first go to this page and download and then install DivX 5.0:

http://www.divx.com/divx/

akb1979 - the two clips you mentioned were compressed with the latest version 5.0 of DivX. You'll need it to play them. Sorry to be problematic.

--------------------

The ASDB

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
To play them you have to first go to this page and download and then install DivX 5.0:

http://www.divx.com/divx/

akb1979 - the two clips you mentioned were compressed with the latest version 5.0 of DivX. You'll need it to play them. Sorry to be problematic.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
Hey, no problem - I'll go and download the latest version now.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

bX
Member # 419

Well, it kind of worked. I could see the two connie flybys and they were looking pretty damned great, RA.

Alack, the Next Generation Era DivX Encoder is apparently too advanced for my Mac's 21st century processing technology. Poodoo.

So I'll ask the fateful question: How long did it take to set up and render these guys? (I'm working on something I might share here someday and it's been 5-7 hour renders on a 45 sec sequence for low quality 15fps 400X213. That Dualie 1GHz G4 is looking pretty good right about now.) Anyway, what I've seen is looking pretty great, RA. You might try moving the camera a little more slowly. It will, of course take longer, but it tends to make these things seem larger somehow. (Thanks, ST:TMP Commentary Track!) You also might try a wider angle on the camera and pushing it in a little closer again to bump up that scale and emphasize the subject from the background (also helps DOF if you want to get into that).

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

The thing is there are just so many things you can do with animations, but these are just the first four. I've done five more since then, one being a redo of the large Federation fleet flyby. I've gone in to detailing the New Orleans for when it passes the camera, such as adding a shadow/detail effect in the windows and improving the nacelles and bussards.

http://www.trekmania.net/new.jpg

As seen here, a couple more ships have been inserted bring up the rear.

The four new animations involve something I've wanted to do since I started in 3D - a large fleet of TOS ships on the move. I've done four experimental clips so far, none of which are flawless, hence I'm still working on it.

As for how long they take. The TNG fleet flyby took an afternoon to setup. It started rendering at about 7.15pm, and finished at about 1.30am, as I recall. So a little over six hours for that one. I'm using an Athlon 900, 512 SDRAm...

--------------------

The ASDB

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Couple more animations have been added, one being a revision of the fleet flyby, much better in my opinion, and something I've always wanted to see, a fleet of TOS ships.

http://www.trekmania.net/art/3d_animations.htm

--------------------

The ASDB

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps