Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Conjectural History of NX Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Conjectural History of NX Class
CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have written up an conjectural history of the NX Class. It does not get technical and it is more of historian view. This is just the inital step and I will be adding more to it. Suggestions will be appreciated.

NX Class Cruiser 2150s (Buran Class after 2161)

Length: 225m
Decks: 8
Crew Complement: 84
Armament: 3 Phase Cannons, 4 Fusion Torpedo Launchers

The design of the NX Class can be traced nearly three decades before with engineer Henry Archer�s first design. The design has been modernized throughout the three decades. Actual construction of the NX-01 started in 2142 at the San Francisco Orbital Fleet Yards. Zefram Cochrane, on opening the Warp Five Complex, asked if the first ship to break Warp Five, to be named Enterprise. The name of NX-01 was finalized in 2149. The NX Class was the largest ship to be built in Earth orbit to be specifically designed to lead Starfleet into a new age of Explorer-Cruiser combination. The Enterprise was launched in 2151 and its first mission was to return a Klingon back to the Klingon Homeworld. In 2158, Romulan terrorists destroyed the Enterprise tragically, with few survivors, to start the Earth-Romulan War. An Earth fleet under the command of Admiral Maxwell Forrest destroyed a small Romulan space station near Alpha Onarias system in retaliation. The flagship of this fleet was the NX-02, Challenger. At the beginning of the Earth-Romulan War, there was five NX Class starships, Challenger NX-02, Buran NX-03, Hermes NX-04, Intrepid NX-05, and the Pathfinder NX-06. The Challenger was destroyed with all hands at Alpha Centauri in 2159. The Hermes was lost near Rigel II in 2158, and the Pathfinder was destroyed at the Battle of Cheron in 2161. It was from the Intrepid that the peace treaty between Earth and Romulus was made and the creation of the Romulan Neutral Zone was soon afterwards. The Intrepid was the second ship to be admitted into the new Federation Starfleet as NCC-02. The Buran was the fifth ship. The Intrepid and the Buran were both refitted into primarily science/survery vessels. The Buran was lost in 2174 and the Intrepid was decommissioned in 2184. The Intrepid is now located in the Fleet Museum.

[ April 22, 2002, 09:38: Message edited by: CaptAlabin ]

IP: Logged
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting. I like to make up histories like this up on my own, too.

--------------------
Meh

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work, but Enterprise has THREE phase cannons (2 foreward, 1 aft) and at least 4 torp launchers (2 foreward, 2 aft). Going strictly by what we see on the model, there may actually be 4 foreward launchers (for a total of 6).
CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

Thanks, I was only going on the two that I saw.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definately 4 tubes up front... they're even referenced as such in dialogue in "Fortunate Son."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, how do you have an Intrepid class when we already have one as Voyager's class?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The novelisation has 'Max Forrest' for the Admiral's name, I believe.. not sure if that from the script

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The script gave us "Maxwell Forrest" and "Daniel Leonard"

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

Thank you for the Admiral's name. It is changed. There is no reason why there cannot be more than two Intrepid Classes. You would just need to specify which one. I am basing my postulations on the fact that Starfleet rivals the US Navy in basic rank, basic structure with their own respective vessels. Class name only means that the it signifies the lead vessel in that particular class. I chose the name Intrepid because of high status it will hold in the hearts and minds of the Federation people. (Speculation of Course) Plus, this would give a reason why Starfleet decided to crew the future USS Intrepid NCC-1631 with all Vulcans. All in out, history in Star Trek, does not seem to have an specific cause and effect relationship. It was there only to help exemplify an plot. It was not until DS9 that someone's actions actually caused something or problems and they had to deal with it. Voyager had the elusive reset button.
CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

After some thought, I changed it to Buran because I used the Intrepid Class as a immediate predessor to the Constitution Class. I am trying to make sense of the 1600s of the Constitution Class.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, I have to support Alabin's dual use of "Intrepid-class" because there is now a RW precedent. When USS Virginia commissions in 2004, she'll be the lead boat of the Virginia-class submarines. All well & wonderful, but there's been a prior Virginia-class of nuclear guided missile cruisers. So.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but there is still time to rename the ship, right?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they won't. It's been very explicit--Virginia-class: the next gen of SSN. Virginia, Texas, Hawaii, &....Rhode Island, I think..?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, just because the Navy confusingly has two Virginia classes doesn't mean we have to follow them into the abyss! I guess they figure that since one is a sub and another is a surface ship, it's not so bad. Also, the CGN is retired. However, I suggest you not have two Intrepid classes.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like they have deactivated the CGNs bearing the Virginia-Class names, which means the Class name is available.... so there will be no confusion... unless you are talking about old ships without informing someone....

The other is the North Carolina

This is slightly odd, the State names were once reserved for the SSBN force.... but that was well before the Berlin Wall fell.....

Of course, now with the number of Arleigh Burke
-Class destroyers, which are better ships than the Virginia-Class CGNs, the only cruisers needed are the Ticonderogas.

The Virginia-Class has been stricken from the records and Disposed of by Recycling.... That's a damn big box to put out to the curb....

[ April 22, 2002, 18:43: Message edited by: ? ? ? ? ? ]

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps