Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Star Wars Convention Artwork

Author Topic: Star Wars Convention Artwork
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't posted any work in a while, so I thought I'd see what you all think of these new pieces. I'm going to the Star Wars Celebration II convention this weekend and am hoping to get a few autographs as well as some attention from the magazine and comics guys. Keep your fingers crossed:

http://www.alanfore.com/Artwork/Mara.jpg - for Shannon Baksa, aka Mara Jade, to sign.

http://www.alanfore.com/Artwork/Leia.jpg - for Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) to sign.

http://www.alanfore.com/Artwork/Anakin.jpg - for Hayden Christensen and David Prowse to sign.

http://www.alanfore.com/Artwork/BobaFett.jpg - for Jeremy Bullock to sign.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grumbles at all this non-Steamrunner-related activity*

Very nice as ever, Alan, but I'm a bit dubious. . . you go up to these people and ask them to sign your piece of artwork? Doesn't that look a bit weird?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are AMAZING, Aban!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were them, I'd raise a few questions about unlicensed materials and profit-nonprofit use of these...I'd not have them sign that, but that's just me. It's a bit like forcing people to endorse something they may not want to, by misusing the established practice of signing *official* materials that relate to them. Otherwise, great artwork.

[ May 01, 2002, 22:27: Message edited by: Boris ]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mara's saber looks way to big in her hands, especially since only the white blade-core is visible, the "corona" kind of blends in with the background.
And is that her official saber? All the Mara-sabers I've seen has had the sloped pasta-penne top of the saber, like Vader's...

[ May 02, 2002, 03:43: Message edited by: Nim Pim ]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

The saber is the one from her card and the one that Shannon Baksa has at conventions. Since scanning the piece in, I have gone back and made some adjustments to the emitter of the saber and the blade itself in the Mara piece. I had the same concerns about the way that part of the hilt looked.

In the official story line, I believe this is the saber that Mara had initially, though, she eventually got the Graflex saber that Luke had in A New Hope and lost along with his hand.

As far as getting them to sign these...I see what you're saying, and all I can say is, Jennifer Lien didn't have a problem with in and neither did Ray Park. The whole reason I'm bothering to spend $10 a pop to get these people's autographs is so I can have them sign something original. I'm not going to resell them. And, no, it's not like just walking up to them and saying "Here, sign this for me please." [Smile] They have tables set up at the convention and do autograph sessions. You stand in line, and take your stuff up to them to sign.

And as for looking weird, Vogon... [Smile] ...have you ever been to one of these Star Wars conventions? Between the guy asking a model to sign a piece of art, and the 250 pound woman dressed as Queen Amidala who is in line behind him...I'll be the weird art guy any day of the week and twice on Sunday [Smile]

[ May 02, 2002, 05:42: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, I managed to score Shannon Baksa's autograph. However, I never saw Hayden Christensen, Carrie Fisher's line was like 4 hours long, and they capped David Prowse's line on me. So I got Michonne Whateverherlastnameis' autograph and a picture with her instead.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I know nobody cares.... but here are a few pics of the ladies at the convention.

www.alanfore.com/convention_pics.htm

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My god, Abane, you look halfway normal ...

... oooh, hot chicks ...

(I notice lots of cleavage shots ... no wonder that one guy looks like he wants to beat someone down!)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am confused. Is Mara Jade making an appearance in Episode II?

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

No. Mara is roughly the same age as Luke. She won't even be born until Ep. 3 or after.

I am normal...well, half way normal anyway. So I guess I look about right. [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK . . . (Even more [Confused] than before).

So why is the actress who plays Mara at a convention and if her character isn't born yet and never appears in a film, why is she there?

And if she is Mara Jade, what has she appeared in?
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
video games, book covers, posing for paintings/artwork, etc...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

This actress, Shannon Baksa, was hired by Decipher to pose for the character of Mara Jade for their interactive card game. Mara Jade had already appeared in several novels and comics, which is why Decipher made her card. The character was very popular. I know that a couple comic covers have used her likeness when illustrating Mara, but most have not.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps