Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Well..a little of my world if you please. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Well..a little of my world if you please.
Samuikaze
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post Preview
I'd just like you to sit back relax and take a moment to have a read if you will. If not ... no problem.

I'm just interested to see your reaction to other angles and ideas on SF.

Please have a read...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jump gates are built around artificial wormholes, created by exploiting gravitational resonances found in binary systems. This resonance is as a friction between gravitational waves of stellar objects, the more massive the objects, the stronger the resonance between them. Positions of planets in a solar system, as well as the complex structure of dust rings around heavy planets illustrate this resonance.

In binary systems there exists strong resonance phenomenons, where the gravitational field of two stars in a stable binary formation would interfere with each other, like ripples from two wave sources. These stable wave patterns come in a succession of standing wave patterns, similar to those created on a guitar string. The strongest resonance is the 1:1 resonance (the first harmonic, so to speak), with two stationary node points situated in the center of each of the two stars. The second strongest resonance is the 1:2 resonance (the second harmonic), where an additional stationary node point appears in the field exactly mid-way between the stars (if of equal mass), and so on for successive resonances.

At the node points, the rapid oscillation of the gravitational field in opposite directions creates strong shear in the contravariant energy-momentum tensor. Under normal circumstances this stress is dissipated by high-frequency graviton radiation, and does thus not create any noticeable macroscopic phenomenons.

But if this stress is confined and forced to build-up in a limited region of space, then the tensor-field will eventually develop a steadily growing high-curvature tentacle like structure in the space-time continuum. More specifically, the tentacle constitutes a self-avoiding 4-manifold that attempts to grow farther and farther from itself. The tip of the tentacle, where the curvature is highest, effectively acts like a magnet on space-time, and for high enough curvature it can eventually induce the creation of a small tentacle in remote high-density regions, that can reach to the tip and spontaneously combine. An analogy of this phenomenon is when lightning strikes ground, where the tip of the downward lightning actually creates a small upward lightning emanating from the ground and the two combine somewhere above the ground, thus closing the electrical circuit.

The main device of jump gates is a so-called mass boson sphere, based on one of the fundamental physic fields that mediates mass, and thus interacts strongly with gravitational waves. The sphere is filled with mass boson plasma, which reflects gravitational waves, pretty much in the same way as a mirror reflects light. By adjusting the plasma density so that it reflects the high-frequency gravitational waves involved in the dissipation of tensor shear, this radiation is trapped within the sphere, thus leading to a steady net increase of the gravitational stress within the resonance node, which eventually leads to the creation of the high-curvature tentacle. An analogy of this is the laser, which builds up a highly coherent and intense beam of electromagnetic energy by enclosing oscillators within a reflecting cavity.

The distance between the two ends of the wormhole depends on the mass of the suns in the binary system and on what resonance node the jump gate is located. In order to connect two jump gates a trial-and-error method is needed, often lasting many years. This is because the tentacle created by the tensor-field cannot be controlled or directed in where to open. But by having another jump gate in a nearby system build up gravitational-stress in it its own, without reaching critical point, at the same time that the tentacle is growing, then the likelihood of a connection being made increases statistically, although many attempts are still often needed. This is similar to raising a metal rod in a thunder storm.

The first jump gate versions built by the Amarrians were limited in the way that once a wormhole had been created and a ship slipped through a new wormhole had to be made before another ships could pass. As it could take several days or even months to re-connect the two jump gates, passing was slow. Later versions of jump gates allowed the jump gates to hold the wormhole open for a longer time and modern day jump gates can keep a wormhole connection open for several dozen years before it has to be reset. Also, the first jump gates were only able to connect and hold a single wormhole at a time but today they can hold several wormholes open at the same time, allowing jump gates to be connected to several other jump gates at once.

In an average binary system the jump gate has a range of around 5 light-years, provided the jump gate is constructed on the third resonance node. More powerful jump gates can be constructed on the second resonance node between the stars. Because these nodes are much farther from a solar system (often up to 0.5 lightyear away) and, more importantly, are also harder to harness, they have only recently started to be utilized. On the other hand, they have much greater range than the basic jump gates.

There are several strict limitations on jump gate travel. First of all, jump gates can only be constructed in systems with two or more suns, because of the resonance nodes. This effectively makes one in every three systems ineligible for jump gate construction.

Secondly, only one jump gate can be in operation in a system at any given time. This is due to the erratic fluctuations in the resonance fields caused by a mass boson sphere; if more than one such sphere is active at the same time in the same system, they both become highly unstable and impossible to operate.

And thirdly, ships can only travel through wormholes if both ends of it are connected to a jump gate. This means that ships must travel between systems in normal space in order to build a jump gate. The reason for this is the extreme dilatation of the metric along the longitudinal dimension of the tentacle, meaning that the spatial coordinate along the length of the wormhole is expanded, while the radial component is cyclically curved. A spaceship entering the wormhole is subject to a strong metric gradient that would put its structural integrity in jeopardy. This can be prevented by locally countering the stretching around the immediate vicinity of the ship. Here the mass boson sphere plays its second role in the gate mechanism. When the ship goes through the mass boson sphere, a mono-atomic layer of mass boson gets deposited on the ships surface. This layer counters the stretching of the ship against the metric gradient, enough to keep the structural integrity of the ship for the duration of the trip through the hole. This doesn't mean that the gradient is completely wiped out, and even seasoned space veterans still know the feeling known as 'going down the drain' when entering a wormhole.

Credit: CCP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting? Nice idea / bad idea ? What do you think ?

My respects.

< bow >

Samuikaze.

IP: Logged
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is General Sci-Fi material, if I'm not mistaken.

I like your "wormhole drive" idea, but simply dumping a whole lot of technobabble and pseudo-science into a post without providing any background information tends to... scare people off [Smile]

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

Hey, no problem. Do you wish for me to delete it?
Just thought I phase through the tech heads and norms alike thats all. [Smile]

Stay or go ...? I'll leave it up for half a hour or so.

Thanks though Cartman. < bow >

Samuikaze.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no need to delete it. It's good stuff, just in the wrong place. I can and shall move it, so there's no need to do anything yourself.
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, after having skimmed through this, I think I can make a few comments:

First of all, 5 light-years seems too small considering the prerequisite for the creation of a wormhole, namely a binary system. While systems containing more than one star are far from uncommon, I think they aren't common enough for most to be within 5 light-years of one another.

And the whole "mass boson sphere" thing isn't quite right. A "mass boson" (or more correctly, a "mass force boson") is a graviton. I'll use an analogy to explain.

The force boson for the electromagnetic force is the photon. Hence, a charged particle emits photons, attracting particles with opposite charge and repelling those with the same charge.

Now think of mass like an electromagnetic charge, and that it emits gravitons instead of photons. The gravitons interact with other mass, which attracts them.

Furthermore, I don't think that it's possible to contain gravitons (being theoretically massless and so on), so holding them in a sphere cannot happen.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what you're talking about, Krenim. I should have played less Command & Conquer and went to college. [Frown]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this for a story you're writing? Jump gate sounds like Babylon 5...but I never watched B5 so I could be wrong. If it's for a story, what is the story about?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... This still seems to be in the wrong Forum. *move*
Samuikaze
Ex-Member

Duh! I feel like I'm starting to suffer from motion sickness with all this bouncing around! heheh [Razz]

Hmmm...

Well, Krenim...

I tend to agree with you in respects to the 5 light year radius, the distance seems way too short. Then again I/we could argue that its relative to your position in a said galaxy, the compactness of star clusters in that area of galaxy. The point then rises, if you have binary systems occurring in such a great frequency. Would these areas of space be able to support planetary bodies that could support life?
Currently our system " Sol " is lucky enough to have formed just on the edge of the spiral arm of our galaxy. If our system had formed closer in galaxy the chances of our Suns survival or planetary survival would have been greatly reduced.
I agree with you. It needs to be reworked as an idea. A 40 - 50 light year radius seems more plausible in my eyes.

Well...hmmm interesting. Gravitons eh? You know there is no direct evidence for gravitons to date. Par from the fact, We believe that if gravitational energy is radiated, then it must be radiated in discrete quanta. These quanta would be "gravitons".

I like your analogy there, though this whole area is somewhat of a "gray" spot, taking it we have an inability to predict the mass of the Higgs boson. One day the search for extensions in the electroweak theory will make it more coherent and more predictive. Until then, this idea for this story might just be able to get away with it.
Don't you just hate Classical and Quantum Physics! Hehe [Wink] Naaaaahhhhhh !!!!! Nope !

Oh and ... no its not my story Aban Rune, But I am getting ready to dive into this whole story and its universe. I'm just trying to get you lots "interest" sparked a bit too. [Wink] I'll fill you in more as we go along. And no nothing to do with B5.

Samuikaze < bow >

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

My last story post spoke of the " Amarrians ".

Allow me to introduce this race to you;

A M A R R - An empire built on slaves

quote:
The largest of the empires , Amarr spans 40% of the inhabited solar systems. The Amarr Emperor is the head of a ritualistic, authoritarian imperial state, and below him are the Five Heirs, the heads of the five royal families from which a new Emperor is chosen. The Emperor's authority is unquestioned and absolute, but the archaic and bureaucratic system of government makes it difficult for him to exert his rule unless directly in person. Otherwise, the Five Heirs rule in his name, dividing the huge empire between them.

The Emperor and the Five Heirs can expect to live for at least 500 years. Extensive cyber-implants keep their frail bodies alive, even when their organs begin to fail. These cyber-enhancements date back many millennia, and have become a symbol of royal divinity in the eyes of the Amarrians.

Always a deeply religious people, religion remains of great importance to every Amarrian, a fervour which at various times has been responsible both for great good and great evil. Shortly after recovering from the great closure , they began to expand their realm at the expense of neighbouring states. The nations they conquered were enslaved, a practice justified by their religion. Ever since, the Amarrians have enslaved every nation and race they have encountered, and today slavery is an essential part of Amarr society. This has, of course, tainted their relations with other races, especially the individualistic Gallenteans.

The Amarrians were the first of the races to re-discover Warp technology, notably Jump gate technology. After accomplishing this more than 2,000 years ago, they immediately began expanding to nearby solar systems, slowly building up their empire in the process. On the way, they encountered two human races, both of whom suffered the fate of being enslaved by the far more powerful Amarrians.

In recent years, however, the Amarrians have begun to run into serious opposition. First, they met the Gallente Federation. Although much smaller than the Amarr Empire, the Amarrians soon found the economic and military might of the Gallenteans a match for their own.

Soon after, the Jovians arrived on the scene and the Amarrians made a futile attempt to subjugate them, resulting in a humiliating defeat. To make matters worse, the Minmatars, enslaved for centuries by the Amarrians, used the opportunity to rebel against their slave-masters.

Since these fateful events almost two centuries ago, the Amarrians have learned restraint. They have slowed down their expansion and are less forceful in their dealings with other races, but still view themselves as "the" most powerful race, if only because of their sheer numbers.

Credit: CCP

I hope you are enjoying some of this. Comments?

Oh and TNS thank you for pointing it out that in was in the wrong forum sir. < bow >

Respects

Samuikaze.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

quote:
Originally posted by Samuikaze:

Well...hmmm interesting. Gravitons eh? You know there is no direct evidence for gravitons to date. Par from the fact, We believe that if gravitational energy is radiated, then it must be radiated in discrete quanta. These quanta would be "gravitons".

I like your analogy there, though this whole area is somewhat of a "gray" spot, taking it we have an inability to predict the mass of the Higgs boson. One day the search for extensions in the electroweak theory will make it more coherent and more predictive. Until then, this idea for this story might just be able to get away with it.
Don't you just hate Classical and Quantum Physics! Hehe [Wink] Naaaaahhhhhh !!!!! Nope !

True, the graviton has yet to be discovered. The thing about doing experiments with gravity is that you can't shield against it. Everything theoretically emits gravitons. Add to that the fact that gravitons should be massless and that they very weakly interact with matter (gravity being the weakest fundamental force). But given that force bosons have been discovered for all the other fundamental forces, it's fairly safe to assume that gravitons exist. And yes, they should exhibit the same wave/particle duality that photons do.

But, after a little thinking and a little research, it may be possible that it isn't gravitons that are in this sphere, but gravitinos. A gravitino would be the supersymmetric partner to the graviton, and would be a rather heavy particle to boot. Granted, we haven't discovered gravitons yet, or even proven supersymmetry exists, but from what I read, it seems like gravitinos have a better chance of being confined than gravitons.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obi H. Kenobi !fuck!, did this thread eat Mexican Jumping Beans?!?!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

quote:
But, after a little thinking and a little research, it may be possible that it isn't gravitons that are in this sphere, but gravitinos. A gravitino would be the supersymmetric partner to the graviton, and would be a rather heavy particle to boot. Granted, we haven't discovered gravitons yet, or even proven supersymmetry exists, but from what I read, it seems like gravitinos have a better chance of being confined than gravitons.

Yes my friend think I tend to agree with you on that one too. Gravitinos seem a good way to go but Hmm? I still think we can find problems.... Since gravitinos have only gravitational-strength interactions, gravitino dark matter would be unobservable, and hence a nightmare to detect or control. In most supergravity scenarios, the gravitino weighs more than the lightest neutralino, and are unstable from what I�ve read. Neutralino maybe the way in the end. Who knows?
We can only assume and hope that these problems we face now would have been passed by the time Jump-gate technology had come to exist.

Samuikaze < bow >

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Obi H. Kenobi !fuck!, did this thread eat Mexican Jumping Beans?!?!

Hehehehe the question is Snay? Do you and the others find it interesting?

Samuikaze

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a simple kind of guy. I like simple words, simples stories, simple humor and simple science. I find all this talk of gravitrons confusing and it's reminding me of Galvatron.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.