Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Well..a little of my world if you please. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Well..a little of my world if you please.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like this is an infomercial. Little tidbits here...What do you mean you'll fill us in as we go along? Just spill it. If this is part of a game or a series of books or something...let's just have at it. [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hehehehe the question is Snay?
The question is "Snay"?

Uh. So, what's the answer "Malnurtured"?!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I feel like this is an infomercial. Little tidbits here...What do you mean you'll fill us in as we go along? Just spill it. If this is part of a game or a series of books or something...let's just have at it. [Smile]

hehe No...noo..noo.. Aban Rune, It wold be taking all the fun out of it, if I just blasted you with a whole load of info, what type of fun would that be? [Wink] Plenty of time for that. Its no " infomercial " either. If that's all it was I wouldn't have bothered going off on one with Krenim here about "gravitinos" and such now would I ? hehe

I mean check out what happened in that Light-Sabre thread. Bloody hell, talk about a slamming into the wall. Who said anything about that place being the definitive answer to light-sabre�s. Not me. It was just a deep break down from that guys point of view on Light-Sabres and from what he knows of martial arts. I a way isn't that what we all just do. Until we are told other wise from the man Lucas himself? I thought the site and the ideas where quite cool.

Hmmm...? Anyway [Wink]

Come on, just enjoy the "read". I enjoy chatting so just go with the flow my friend.

Respects < bow >

IP: Logged
Samuikaze
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
quote:
Hehehehe the question is Snay?
The question is "Snay"?

Uh. So, what's the answer "Malnurtured"?!

Hehe.. Nice.

I shall use your full title to address you from now on sir. I was being a tad bit too informal for someone so new here, Quiaff?

My apologies, Malnurtured Snay.

< Bow >

Samuikaze

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

Hmm.. Three post on the trot with "no" come back as yet, damn! Hehe

Guys have a read of this little lot. [Wink] Krenim? Interesting what do you think?

quote:

- Faster-than-light travel � how?

So what is the elusive answer to FTL travel? It was found through advanced research in the field of quantum electrodynamics. By creating depleted vacuum, that is, vacuum as found in space but completely stripped of all energy, and then expanding this depleted vacuum to envelop a ship, the ship is capable of moving faster than light through this bubble of depleted vacuum. A depleted vacuum bubble is more than frictionless � it is so anti-friction that things (including light) actually move faster in it than they would in complete vacuum.

All space ships are equipped with a jump drive device. The jump drive creates depleted vacuum by repeatedly �compressing� vacuum between two polar discs, draining all energy neutrons and quarks out of it. A laser-locked field is then created to hold the ever-increasing depleted vacuum bubble until it has enveloped the whole ship. When that happens the ship is able to enter FTL speed. Although initial experiments with the jump drive were very encouraging technology wise, problems arose in regard to navigation. Once the ship has attained FTL speed, it is very difficult for it to act or react to the world, such as for communication or scanning purposes. Numerous experiments were made, for example with compactified dimensions radio, but without success. The unpredictable nature of quantum mechanics made it very difficult to create a stable enough vacuum bubbles to allow for precise time measurements due to fluctuating speeds. Finally, a solution was found. It was discovered that gravity capacitors similar to the control system used in jump gates were able to pick up gravity signals from �normal� space while the ship was on FTL speed. By locking the capacitor onto one of these signals, the ship travels to it. The bubble is then automatically dispersed once certain distance from the gravity well is acquired. The only problem is that these capacitors can only efficiently pick up signals from gravity wells of certain size or above, with the minimum being a small moon or a cluster of asteroids. Also, in order for the gravity capacitor to align correctly on the destination object in relevance to the position of the sun, it must follow a relatively narrow route towards it, resulting in a fairly restricted emerge area for the ship. This puts some limits on the jump drive�s usage, but as all major objects in a system can be detected, this is not such a great problem. Furthermore, it is now possible to construct �fake� gravity wells on space stations and jump gates, which can be detected and thus homed onto by the gravity capacitor that is part of a ship�s jump drive.

Further research into jump drives, especially those aimed at amalgamating the technology used for jump drives and the one used for jump gates, has led to more and more advanced jump drives becoming available. It is now possible to fit a ship with a jump drive capable of inter-stellar travel. The first versions of these allowed the jump drive to connect to a jump gate in another solar system and jump to it just as if the ship had moved through a jump gate. The later versions allow ships to jump from a system with a jump gate to another system that has no jump gate, and the latest version, still only available as a prototype, allows a ship to jump between systems even if no jump gate exists in either system. The first versions of these drives simply aligned the drive with the nearest resonance node in the system (often using nodes 1:4 or even 1:5), then created instant mini-wormholes through it for just enough time for the ship to slip through. More advanced versions, allowing jumps into systems with no jump gates, are a bit more complex. They send out a constant barrage of high frequency neutron rays, based on the flat-space principle of trans-relativistic physics, through infinitesimal cosmic strings to scout out the destination system. This survey can last for several days before enough data is gathered to allow the ship to create a wormhole (through a resonance node of course) to the destination system.

Credit: CCP

And yes Aban Rune it is all from the same source my friend. Which I will let you in on soon enough. [Smile]

Samuikaze.

As requested ... no more "bowing" [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps